Found an Urchin!

whitey_028

Urchans usually dont hurt anything unless they are the decorating kind that pick up stuff and carry it around. They eat algea, even coroline(sp) algea...so it up to you if you wanna keep it. As far as catching it goes i dont think they swim very fast and dont think youll have a problem reaching in and grabbing it...

ophiura

It is probably Echinometra a common hitch hiker. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have poorly secured frags and such. Monitor it. Otherwise trade in...
The long spined urchins are the only one's you have to handle particularly carefully. But you can basically remove it using a tupperware container or something.

crox

Originally Posted by Reeferman1
It looks like a Purple Urchin.
I put my purple one in the refugium.

alyssia

I have a purple urchin and he doesn't bother any of my corals. He does decorate himself with hermit shells though, and sometimes the hermits are still in them.

bojik

Originally Posted by alyssia
I have a purple urchin and he doesn't bother any of my corals. He does decorate himself with hermit shells though, and sometimes the hermits are still in them.

They also pick up tiny coral frags, kind of annoying IMO.

rykna

I have two in my tank Timmy and Prissy. Timmy is the larger of the 2. For some reason he LOVES the algae feeding clip. I've taken it off of him numerous times, even tossed it on the opposite side of the tank. Never fazed Timmy. With in a half an hour his had picked it up again. I finally gave up and let him have it. Timmy is so docile compared to Prissy. Timmy doesn't mind beng picked up at all. He's one of the few animals that I can take out for my friedns to hold. Prissy(hence the name) is completely different personality. If you try to pick her up she will hunker down and suction herself to a rock/tank wall like there is no tomorrow. I don't try to pick her up any more. The last time I did one of here spines broke off, I felt so bad.
I have things pretty locked down now so they can't knock things over as the graze. Timmy still prefers the feeding clip, Prissy seems to prefer shells. Here a pic of the 2. Timmy is on the left.

rykna

I don't think they do, however, I also pick up my anemones with my bare hands and I have never been stung. I have been told that some people aren't effected, others are, kinda like bee stings. My mother is deathly allegic to bee stings, bee stings aren't fun, but they don't bother me. The friends who have held them have never reported and problems. I think there are types of urchins that are venomous and I would NOT recommend picking those up, but purple pin chusion urchins are not venoumous.

bojik

You can pick up urchins w/your bare hands? I thought they stung. :thinking:
Mine sticks all its feet out. Kinda feels like handling polyps not realy a stinging but funny feeling.

ophiura

You can pick up urchins w/your bare hands? I thought they stung. :thinking:

I don't recommend that you handle long spine urchins, and several species not typically found in the hobby can pack a serious sting (some fatal). Other urchins however are not so bad to handle.