FOUND THE SKIMMER...

E

eric b 125

...that will solve the space restraints of my upcoming 200DD build!!! Skimz oval SV203. It's only rated for 315 gallons, but has more air intake than the Skimz Monzter series SM201 that I was considering before. If the 40B I'm using as a sump was really only 16"H then the SM201 would work, but the sump tank is close to 17"H. The oval skimmer (7.64" on the narrow side) will give me 1/3 of an inch of room in the 25"H stand when I need to remove the skimmer body from the sump for maintenance.

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2013/05/skimz-oval-protein-skimmer.html

This design idea is great and it looks like it does a decent job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jMdItqIzE4

2quills

I bought the SK201 about 2 years ago when they switched over to eden pumps.
The pump that came with the skimmer was actually larger than what was advertised. And I think it could easily handle a 240g system. It does well on my 120g with 65g sump. I empty it maybe once a month.
But yes, its as dead silent as a skimmer can be, IMO. Even on the little pvc stand I made for it. I hear nothing in the way of it running unless I put my ear up next to the sump.
No complaints thus far.

E

eric b 125

This oval one comes with a controllable DC pump. (I'm still not sure what the whole DC bandwagon is all about)... My ASM G-2 was a pretty noisy skimmer. Not just the pump, but the water splashing down from the output pipe. I refuse to build another noisy system and then have to fix it.
I'm a little concerned that it's only rated for 317 gallons. I'm not going to overstock the tank with large fish but I'm also not going to fill the tank w/ LR. My current stocking plan is:

1X PBT
1X Purp tang
1X Flame angel
1X Midas blenny
1X Mandarin
5-10 Anthias (one or two groups of 5)

For a 200 gallon tank (240g system) I would consider that a moderately stocked tank, but maybe I've been spending too much time on RC where folks tend to really cram fish in their tanks.

BTW: what kind of light is that over your fuge?

2quills

I guess the novelty of the day is having controlable pumps on everything lol. I suppose you could always turn it down to save on electricity if you felt like the skimmer was over performing? I'm not sure why else anyone would need that feature on a skimmer.
The Skimz design has the skimmer output at the base so its under water, quieter, no splashing and less back pressure on the pump helps performance a tad I suppose. I honestly am very happy with its silence. I feel the same way about the water blaster return pump I have on there. Extremely quiet. The mag 5 I was using for my scrubber was 5 times louder than those two pumps combined. Another reason why I was happy to do away with that scrubber.
The fuge lights were a DIY led project that I initially built for the scrubber. Now theyre just fuge lights. 660nm red and 4700k neutral whites.

acrylic51

I see alot of people swapping away fro the dc pump these days....I think the whole "bandwagon" idea was easy to tune by dialing the pump up or down but as stated novelty.....

E

eric b 125

I'm not all that thrilled about having to mount yet another controller and adding to the mess of wires that will certainly be under my stand, but I'm excited about trying a new brand of skimmer and one that will be easily removed from the sump for maintenance.

2quills

I think it will do alright for you. The pump on mine is only rated for 1020 l/h at 16w.