fowlr and powerhead ???

jstrong

i have a 125gal that i am turning into a fowlr(aggressive) will i need to use my powerheads. I just put a 55 gal in the wall and that is going to be reef tank, was going to use my powerheads for that. sorry if this is a stupid question. tia

justchillin

yes you will need powerheads...in my 75 i have 3 maxi jet 1200's to provide circulation plus my skimmer ...in a 125 i would think 3-4 would be enough, but i have never run a 125 so hopefully someone who has can tell you for sure...i actually ran 2 plus my skimmer for a while and everything was fine but after adding the third ph everything just looked more healthy to me...
any plans for the tank yet???

broncofish

Think about if you were just walking along a street and gravity stopped. That is what the sensation would be for the fish. Almost every fish in the hobby comes from reefs and tidal zones, that all have strong currents.

jstrong

thanks, as for the tank im thinking about a volitan lion, blue line grouper, chainlink eel, and maybe a less aggressive trigger. tell me what you think, is that to much?? thanks again

lutz493

While we are talking about powerheads.
I have a 55 Gallon which right now is FOWLR.
The only powerhead in my tank is a RIO 1100.
I see alot of people have several powerheads in their tanks.
Am I lacking atleast 1 more powerhead?

justchillin

jstrong: not sure about the grouper (anyone else?)...as for the rest of your line...it sounds ok i would add the lion and eel before the trigger and be sure to get one of the less aggressive triggers (like a blue jaw) and still add it last...it might still nip the lions fins but less likely than the more aggressive species...
Lutz493: i would probably add another ph but i wouldn't get another rio (not very dependable)...go with a maxi jet 1700 or some equivilant mag...

lutz493

thanks... I have a Maxi-Jet 1200 I use in a 10 gallon I fill my RO with and do mixes... I will switch out the Rio for the MAxi-Jet 1200 do I wanna get a MAxi 1700 to go with the MAxi 1200?
Thanks

3 ARE MAXI JET 900, AND 1 IS A 1200. 2 ARE IN BLOWING TROUGH THE ROCKS, AND 2 ARE ON THE SURFACE WITH A (WAVE MASTER)... CORALS LOVE IT... GREAT CIRCULATION!!! :cool:

justchillin

one more 1200 (2 total) should be enough in a 55 but if you wanna add a 900 too that won't hurt...just make sure you place them so that one doesn't block the current created by the other by placing them at different depths of pointing toward different areas in the tank...the key is to try not to have any dead spots with no current at all...or else waste with settle there...
as for your 125 since your going aggressive and are looking at some messy eaters as inhabitants i would recomend getting a skimmer if you don't already have one...in my 75 a use a remora pro but i believe it's only rated up to 120 (might still work) so you may want to post a seperate thread about skimmers for that size tank...
keep posting with any more questions you have...much better to find out before you buy then to find out you got the wrong thing later...trust me :rolleys:
hth
mike:rolleyes: