FOWLR or Reef???

cincijoe

I'm getting ready to upgrade tanks and can't decide on wheter to go with another reef or FOWLR? Can someone post some pics of their FOWLR tanks,,,,,and is there any pro or cons from one to the other?? I'm planning a 210 gal.
Thanks
Joe

badkharma

LOL, they are way different. Do you have the money for a 210 gal. reef?? Because the lighting will be a significant cost. What kind of fish do you want? Do you have the experience to keep corals? It really is up to you, but know that the reef systems are generally a lot more $$.

cincijoe

I know they're different, but I haven't seen many pics of just fowlr tanks. I have had a 75 reef for over 2 years...I still consider myself a beginner, but I do know something.

badkharma

Have you looked at the fish photography section? There's usually a good selection of FOWLR's over there. The way I see it is, a reef tank focuses on displaying the beauty of corals rather than fish - and with FOWLR display, you still have the LR structure like a reef, but without the corals. Instead, you can stock non-reef safe fish like large angels, etc and show their beauty off. But yeah, give the fish photography section a try - I'd take a pic of mine, but I don't have a digital cam (yet). :(

robchuck

A 210 gallon FOWLR would allow you to keep some unique fish that can't be kept in reefs or in smaller tanks.

badkharma

Agreed. There are some REALLY gorgeous wrasses out there that wouldn't be suitable for a reef tank at all, but would do well in a large FOWLR.

ndpb6b

A 210 gallon would be wonderful as a FOWLR. I would like to down the road do that to about a 300g. With larger tanks like said before you can put in Angels and also like said before the Wrasses. I had a Lunar or Moon Wrasse in my 125g before I decided that I wanted inverts in my tank. With a 300g, NOT AT ALL KNOCKING A MONSTER LIKE A 210, but with the 300 you get 2 extra feet of swim room, also if you have the room. But back to the point, having a more aggressive tank like that can open up a whole different realm check out the aggressive forum for some ideas of Angels, Groupers, Wrasses and the like.
Good Luck and sorry about the rambling.