FOWLR tank

whaa...?

I wanted to do a FOWLR tank with my 75 and i was wondering how exactly i would go about doing that.
my stock list would probably be
Violatin Lion
SFE
LN Hawk
dont no of anything else...
and would i want crushed coral or fake sand or real sand? ofcourse live rock. no special lighting is required either right?
about eels being esape artists, would the eel get out of the small holes the filter would be by and such?
thanks in advance!

ams153

As far as the sand goes you want to go with livesand, as far as the lighting goes nothing special for fish only, just something simple, and for the SFE escapeing i doubt it i have my entire top open i just have some stuff to keep it from jumping out thats all you have to worry about

lionfu411

the eel probly wont get through where the filter is but you never know. try covering it with something. it doesnt have to be airtight.
also a volitan is pretty close to being too big. i would take a look at a russels if you can find one. a vols would probly fit but it would be close.
LN hawks only get to 5" so a lion would probly eat it. volitans get to 15" and russels get to around 12" so you would need a dwarf (maybe a pair) to ensure it wouldnt be eaten

mitzel

twice my SFE has escaped both times thru the over flows. good thing I was ther to save him.

whaa...?

is it possible to get the SFE weened onto silversides and if i put him in a reef tank he wouldnt eat the fish because he is used to silversides?

lionfu411

SFE's are mostly peaceful so if you get a passive one he should be OK with the fish but i wouldnt trust one for a second with inverts

lionfu411

a cleaner would be gone so fast. the lion would eat it also. i would say maybe a few hermits but i wouldnt count on them staying there very long unless youre lucky

J

jcrim

I'd look for an eel with a little meat on its bones... a little chubby. The smaller they are, the easier they will find a way out.