FOWLR to Reef tank upgrade project

custombuilt

sorry about the misinformation i gave about my display measurements are 72x18x18 inches so its just a 100 gallon tank not a 120
Can any one help me with the conversion I'm going to do with my tank?

I'm planing to replace my refugium/sump with a 30-40 gallon from 75 to save space and add a Via Aqua 230 Canister Filter. And here are other equipments, queen turbo skimmer TS-2000 (x2) with 1 Rio 14HF Hyperflow Pump, ceramic rings, activated carbon ( will this type of activated carbon be better?), two wave pumps Sunsun Wave Pump JVP-201 (6000Liters / 1421Gallons) and Sunsun Wavepump 5000lph (5000lph ( 1320 gph )), t5 light 4x 54w, a return pump Rio 32HF Hyperflow Pump (1920 gph ) and I'm planning to buy this chiller Hailea HC-300A (1/4 HP) and a 11w UV filter
whats in the display tank: 160lbs of live rock and 160lbs of sand
in this setup I'm planning to put 30 different corals, can any one suggest compatible corals I'm not sure of the sizes i can get here in the Philippines. and 3 giant clams or is that too much? and some crabs, clams and shrimp,
how about reactors what can you suggest?
Is this too much or insufficient for a reef tank?

i will upload all the pictures when i get back home to the Philippines and maybe the conversion process here thank you in advance to all in this forum

my livestock. Banggai cardinal, Percula clown, Hippo tang, Yellow tang, and a brown tang i don't really know what its called some clams, hermit crabs and crabs all are reef safe i chose them carefully due to this reef upgrade plan i had for my tank.

custombuilt

can anyone see if my sump design would do for my reef tank. I decided just to buy anew 100 gallon tank and just leave my fowlr as is and do this design

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBuilt http:///forum/thread/385513/fowlr-to-reef-tank-upgrade-project#post_3381488
can anyone see if my sump design would do for my reef tank. I decided just to buy anew 100 gallon tank and just leave my fowlr as is and do this design
Well I am not an expert, but it looks pretty good to me.
I'm sure you know already...but just in case.... Go for the lowest baffle to be a little over half way up the tank. You need to allow room for the main tank to drain off when the pumps are off or a power failure and not overflow the sump.

teresaq

looks pretty good, but I have one question -- right now you have a 75 gal sump/fuge, and you are taking it out and addinf a 30 to 40 gal and a canister filter???? Why.

custombuilt

yes, I decided not to use the canister, and the 30-40 gal was just a plan but as they said the bigger the fuge the better so there it is

custombuilt

Can anyone see if this setup would work properly or is there anything that needs to be changed
any suggestions what else do i need?

bullitr

This is what I notice right away
you need a better skimmer ,water circulation and the uv is insufficient IMO
Also what kind of lightning are you using ?
I am going to the Philippines next month
I will be in Cebu and Manila
Scuba diving in Cebu and Palawan
Where do you get your corals and fish?

custombuilt

you should try diving in batangas they have lots of dive site there.
i get my fish from an exporter and "maybe" one of the supplyers of saltwaterfish.com
im planning to use T5's 20,000k

bullitr

I heard that its a good spot to see lots of fishes but I like corals reef better
Specially acropora.
Hong kong sells a lot of LEDs that's better than T5 since you will be limited on t5 bulbs over there!

nikesb

pare! i'm filipino too!
i havent been home since i was 8, and never knew what the saltwater stores are like there? you could always go to the beach and pay someone lol

custombuilt

there are lots of t5s here, but I'm not really sure if they have as much as you have there.... I'm not really sure with the corals in batangas but so far that's the only place I've been diving

nikesb

on the top of my fish list is the cebu pylei fairy wrasse. im dying to get my hands on a pair of these

custombuilt

wow that a beauty but so far i haven't seen any of those in person but maybe you can make an order. the might send it along with the other fish being exported there but I'm not sure if they are exporting in that area,

nikesb

i know for a fact that they are exporting because the major retailers here get them from the philippines.
my buddy also owns a store and gets them on the list from the philippines once in awhile. flashing tile fishes are also really neat!

custombuilt

ahh okay so can you ask if where there suppliers are because all suppliers have different suppliers sometime some have better fish

bullitr

Btw i am a filipino too
The bulbs on t5 will be expensive since you have to change every year
And I doubt that the ATI , Griesman , korallen and other nice bulbs will be cheap over there since it's German made.
Anyway since switching to LEDs my biggest problem is warming up the tank I have torun 3 300 watts heater almost 12 hours a day during winter and I am in southern California
I know you will not have that problem there.
Although the corals are extremely cheap over there specially chalice that cause thousand of dollars here and 1 buck in cartimar it's still nice to keep corals long term.
This is my tank while Using metal halide but it's too much electricity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww_qKMoOhO4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEHp7RGZZCU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Under LEDs with less fish and less corals because of ick issues so I sold or gave away my corals so I can buy more angelfish :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os-gEq8stso&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I will have a video of the tank
Soon
IMO equipment is very important before setting up a successful reef tank
Since I make so many mistake in the past.
Some of the list My equipment
TUNZE 6305
2 TUNZE 6205
2 TUNZE 6215 wavemaker
4 TUNZE 6045 ( for the 150 gallon angel tank ) fairly inexpensive but very reliable
4 reefkoi evolution 120 watts LEDs ( cheap china made but very good )
Reeflo orca 250 with dart gold
Reeflo dart return
Neptune apex controller
Bubble magus doser
Btw i am a large angel fish addict and trying to do my best to have few of them again on my reef tank when I get back from vacation
I haven't updated my thread here but ad soon as I am back I will:)
Regarding fishes there is a lot of wholesaler in LAX that gets fishes from Cebu and all the high end fishes there already know.
Like one of my neighbors borther in law supply exotic reef imports directly.

custombuilt

there are exports of reef to Canada from Philippines? i thought it was illegal? can they also export in Qatar?
by the way i love your tank, its beautiful and ill do my best to make a better one myself if you want when I'm finished you could visit my tank

and one more thing when you visit Philippines for scuba diving be sure to check the wheat her, the climate i believe has changed at some point check the weather here http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/