FOWLR Vs Reef

forcrz6

Ok LFS myth or truth.
In a Reef tank you should only keep 2 to 3 fish in it as either the reef or the fish will die.

florida joe

That is so true that it needs no further response. By the way does you local fish store ship out of state? That is a place I must give my business to

florida joe

Ok ok please I do not hope you nor anyone else took me seriously. The only way I can even remotely think of a reason for that statement is in an extreme nano tank.

robertmathern

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2893619
Ok ok please I do not hope you nor anyone else took me seriously. The only way I can even remotely think of a reason for that statement is in an extreme nano tank.
+1 uhats the only reson i can see this to be true

sagxman

I'm surprised an LFS would say that. Usually they want you to buy as much of everything as possible. Seems like this lie is cause them to shoot themself in the foot.
The key is, size of tank and fish type determines the number of fish. Do ocean reefs have just two or three fish? I think not.

keebler

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
http:///forum/post/2893761
I'm surprised an LFS would say that. Usually they want you to buy as much of everything as possible. Seems like this lie is cause them to shoot themself in the foot.
The key is, size of tank and fish type determines the number of fish. Do ocean reefs have just two or three fish? I think not.
That was my thought too. I think a lot of times they just make stuff up to sound like they know what they are talking about ha.

florida joe

Originally Posted by SaGxMAN
http:///forum/post/2893761
Well we really can’t equate an ocean reef to our tanks. We also have to add compatibility into the equation when considering the amount of fish we have

patriot54

This is kind of off the subject but, in that video clip, what was up with the different coloration of the yellow tangs?

forcrz6

Yea I figured this to be false. The Guy Over at the LFS states he has a FOWLR and A Reef and he will not keep fish in the reef due to and Ill quote "You can not keep fish in a reef, as either the reef will collapse, or the fish will die. There is no way to keep fish in a reef tank". So yea, I think I confused him when I asked if he had an ID10T tank.
About that time I walked out and vowed to never return to them. Ill stick with the local Saltwater shop here. I only had to go to the LFS due to the Gift Certs. That I got for Xmas.

-tara33-

in general it can and is done, but i have two tanks at work both 300 litres, a reef tank that has tones of rock corals inverts and fish-tang gobies chromis hawks clowns a great sump fuge n all, then ive got a invert tank same size next to each other, tones of coral inverts rock sump fuge all the same, lighting but with only a yellow tang, do all the same maintenance, first tank the reef tank nitrates stay around 20-30, second tank 0 nitrates ALL the time, the second tank just looks better in general, corals are brighter water is the best it could be, i also have a fish only tank the same. the esiest tank to look after and maintain perfect water is the second invert tank, the reef is the hardest and the fish only in the middle, so the less fish you have in a reef tank the esier it is to maintain water quility, but you do need one fish to feed the tank- its the esiest marine tank to do, the invert tank, its just so balanced with one fish, the corals and inverts love it without the stress of more fish.........ok im done LOL

forcrz6

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2894415
in general it can and is done, but i have two tanks at work both 300 litres, a reef tank that has tones of rock corals inverts and fish-tang gobies chromis hawks clowns a great sump fuge n all, then ive got a invert tank same size next to each other, tones of coral inverts rock sump fuge all the same, lighting but with only a yellow tang, do all the same maintenance, first tank the reef tank nitrates stay around 20-30, second tank 0 nitrates ALL the time, the second tank just looks better in general, corals are brighter water is the best it could be, i also have a fish only tank the same. the esiest tank to look after and maintain perfect water is the second invert tank, the reef is the hardest and the fish only in the middle, so the less fish you have in a reef tank the esier it is to maintain water quility, but you do need one fish to feed the tank- its the esiest marine tank to do, the invert tank, its just so balanced with one fish, the corals and inverts love it without the stress of more fish.........ok im done LOL
So you are saying there is SOME truth to it if I am reading this correctly?

forcrz6

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2894428
What kind of LFS was this? All the good saltwater stores around here all have multiple reef tanks full of fish in them.
Well This was for Gift cards that I got for Xmas as the Mother and Father in law don't know any better, But It is P**co<-edited for Forum sake
I am with you. I have seen too many reef tanks with fish to call this THEORY true. But as the other poster has pointed out. There may be SOME truth to it.

-tara33-

oh heaps of ppl do it, there is nothing wrong with putting alot of fish in a reef tank, the more fish means more maintenance and that means disturbing the corals from more water changes because of waste, less fish means a more stable environment, i do alot less work on my invert tank compared to my reef tank and the invert tank does alot better cos its left alone to do its own thing, just more stable thats all, you can put as many fish as you want, well not as many as you want but you know what i mean, it just means more maintenance wich sometimes isnt as good for corals, but its up to you

-tara33-

Originally Posted by LKGRenegade22
http:///forum/post/2894428
What kind of LFS was this? All the good saltwater stores around here all have multiple reef tanks full of fish in them.
i can tell you now that those corals in those tanks dont last no were near as long as they should cos of water quility, they put heaps of fish in, they do alot of water changes wich stress the coral alot, but they will take the half dying coral out and wak a new one in, easy as that!

forcrz6

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2894435
i can tell you now that those corals in those tanks dont last no were near as long as they should cos of water quility, they put heaps of fish in, they do alot of water changes wich stress the coral alot, but they will take the half dying coral out and wak a new one in, easy as that!

This, After thinking about it is true.
I have the local Saltwater store. I see all the fish In sep. tanks from the corals. And if there is a fish in the Coral It is usually a False Perca or a Tomato Clown. 3 fish for a 100g Coral tank does make me see where you may just be correct and that this holds water. Sort to speak.