fowlr????????????????

fish boy

i am thinging
of starting a fish olny with live rock i just got a new 75 gallon tank that i have not filled with water yet but i have some questions
since i am ordering the rock on line it will haved to be cured should i use the un cured rock to cycle my tank?
if so i have a couple of questions. should i leave the light on while the uncured rock is cycling the tank what about the protien skimmer should i leave that on exactlty how do i cure the rock in the tank while cyleing it do i do any water changes thanks

mr . salty

The uncured rock will cycle your tank nicly.
Leave the lights off for a couple weeks,and do not run the skimmer till you have an established bio load(a few fish in there)...
You should also do NO water changes during the cycle.This will only remove the ammo and nitrites from the water column. These are needed to compleate the cycle.

fish boy

also when you say leave the lights off for a couple weeks do you mean a couple weeks after the cycle or do you mean after the rock has been in the tank for a couple weeks turn them on

mr . salty

Leave the lights off for the first couple weeks AFTER you put the rock in... this helps the formation of bacteria that is needed to compleate the cycle..
How much water to change after the cycle is another "up in the air" question...You can ask 10people,,,and get 10 diferent answers to this...Personally I think a water change is not needed till the fish have been added to the setup,and the nitrates begine to rise...Say around 25-30...
Others say at least 25% is needed.
This is mainly to replace trace elements that may be lost during the cycle.But these trace elements can be replenished by adding a suppliment like Coral-Vite by Kent marine products...