fox coral

bigg

I have a fox coral that I placed at the top of my reef tank. it was doing well for while and now seems to be slowly dying off. It started with one end not opening up fully and now that end has died off. The color and everything looks great but it seems to be working its way across the coral. I am new at saltwater aquariums and up to now all has been going well.
Thanks

bigg

Thanks, I will try lowering it. The tank is six weeks old, it is a Red Sea Max. Thirty pounds of live rock with a three inch sand bed.

You will probalby lose it. You should wait at least three to six months before putting in any SPS or LPS.IMO. Hope it pulls thru.

candycane

Fox Corals are fairly hardy from my experience. The reason that I say that is because the last one that I got (Candy Canes and Fox corals are two of my favorites for some odd reason); I put in a tank with REALLY high nitrates that was two weeks old. Someone just gave it to me when their tank “crashed” and I only had the one tank that it went in that had room.
The things do like little if no flow. So it should be moved to an area with very little flow. I have mine under a thousand watts of metal halides however. One thing that I noticed is that I think they are just HUNGRY. There aren’t many corals with feeding responses as heavy as Cynarinas, but I would say this is one that is up there. But the one that I mentioned above just started receding bit by bit from the base, leaving small holes in the skeleton, until I began spot feeding it.
The good thing about Fox Corals though is their make-up. They can pretty much recede down to a ¼ inch left in the entire skeleton, and sometimes still regrow if they are given the proper care.

bigg

Thanks for the info, I lowered it to the bottom of the tank.....less light and flow. What are you feeding it? I am feeding it Phytoplex every other day

candycane

up HIGH HIGH!. The light is about 3 feet off the tank and the tank is only 13 inches deep. Would I recommend that the coral is kept that high? No. There are a number of times where I have HAD to put a coral that is nearly dead or dying in light MUCH higher then it might need. Surprisingly, they survive most of the time. I would just never recommend it.
You are probably going to need to feed something with a decent amount of nutritional value so that the coral can "grab" if you spot feed. I don't know what it is for Phytoplex, but something with more of a carnivorous preparation might be more readily accepted. Like the Cyclop-Eeze line or minced up PEMysis and what not. There is even some stuff you MIGHT be able to use from the store, frozen muscles might be pretty decent in value. Just don't get your finger. I usually use a blender when I ABSOLUTELY have to feed frozen store bought food. I turn it into a paste then use a fat plastic food injector to squirt it into the corals mouth. But something with over 30% protein and 12% fat should be needed at this point.

bigg

Thanks Candycane, I am slowly learning this whole saltwater thing. They sell you everything at the store but never go into details all that goes into it.

BigG check everything out before you buy it. I've lost a few corals that I wanted because I wanted to check them before I bought. I'm glad I did that for about 5 corals, I would have out alot of money if I bought those five. Don't be afraid to lose a coral to someone else, let it die in there tank not yours.

bigg

Thats where I think I made my mistake, Didn't check it out first. I was to excited to get it once I saw it at the store. Still learning the ins and outs of purchasing from LFS. Now I remember how kids feel at christmas.

bigg

Not well, it is hanging in but I think I am going to loose it. First loss for me, going to be a tough one. I am doing everything I know ( which is not alot) very new to this.

bigg

I would like to thank everyone for there advice, the coral is doing much better and has completely opened. A small portion had died off but the rest is doing well.