Water Params:Salinity = 1.023
    Ammonia = 0
    Nitrate = <10
    Nitrite = 0
    pH = 8.3
    Phosphate = 0
    Calcium = 450
    Alkalinity = 15.0
I have a problem with greenish-blue hair algae (it is stiff, not stringy) and want to get something to eat it. Emerald crabs, hermits, and turbo snails are not effective on it. My LFS said a foxface would be a great addition, but I have read they may nip at corals and such. Is this a good fish to add, or is there something better?
Thanks for the advice.

mkzimms

these fish are hit or miss. i have been contemplating getting one for myself (a one spot foxface) and have read reviews on both sides of the fence. the consensus seems to be that they are reef safe if kept well fed, otherwise they will take a few bites out of softies and lps but should leave the sps alone. if you present it with algae sheets and good herbivore food after it has consumed your tank algae supply then i don't think you will really have a problem.
i haven't pulled the trigger on a purchase yet, but i may do so this month.

I have a one spot foxface currently in my reef tank. If you keep him well fed, he will be fine. Intially he will be shy, but once he gets over it, he will out in plan few alot. Mine will come to surface to get hand feed his algae sheets and rub the side of his body against me when I am in the aquarium. Just remember, these guys are vemonous.

nycbob

foxface is 99% reef safe imo. if u hv plenty of algae in ur tank, it wont bother any corals at all.

deejeff442

i ahve had mine for over 5 years and he dont touch anything.
actually i dont see him pick at the rocks either.
awesome fish though always in the open swimming

rtzx9r

Awesome- thanks for the responses everyone. I will give this guy a shot within the next week or so - LFS has them for around 35.00 and they are maybe 3-5 inches long.

anonome

I agree, this fish is 99% reef safe. Mine will pick at my kenya, but I really don't care, this coral overpopulates anyway. I can't say that it does any harm, but still picks at it. I have plenty of other "tasty" coral, and it seems to leave them alone. Always out in front (once established), and a real ham for the camera. Do feed it plenty of nori, but he also likes mysis, clam, brine, and you should be fine.
If you are trying to rid the tank of algae, lay off of the nori for awhile. They will get lazy if they know that they will be getting the nori, too much of the "free buffet" . I do the same with my tangs. 3 times a week they get nori, thats it. They have plenty to munch on.
I have a full tank of LPS, clams, RBTA, softies, zoas, polyps, you name it.... He has been with me well over 3 yrs. and has been wonderful, except for the nipping on the kenya. All I can think is that he is going after algae, or uneaten food that is trapped in the stalks? Not sure, but they still keep multiplying.
I frag so many, I have lost count.

N

nereef

nice tank, anonome.
rtzx9r, i would say that a foxface will be more reef-safe than either your trigger or your pygmy angel.