foxface, reefsafe or not?

j.p

i was thinking of maybe getting a foxface and i always thought they were reef safe but here on swf.com it says they arent so im a little confused any help would be appreciated, thanks

coraljunky

Yes

Hhhmmm just read a few other descriptions stating they're not. I had one for 11months and never saw it pick at anything. It was an excellent algae grazer! But now I see contradicting descriptions

lobstah

I have been told by many people that they will nip hard and soft corals. I dont have any corals yet so I cant say for sure but I can say that the one that I have has taken a few big bites from one of my mangrooves and nipped my feather duster a few times.

jeffreyyy

I have a foxface and he hasn't gone after any of my corals, I have Zoa's, candy cane and some others. I think you'd be okay as long as you keep him fed. I feed every day and twice on weekends...I was told to feed greens but he loves pellets and mysis shrimp.
JMO,
Jeff

wangotango

IMO, they're just like angels as they're hit or miss. I'd say more often than not they can be kept in reefs without problems.
-Justin

L

lsu

Mine has never touched any corals but it destroys featherdusters

peterpaul

My foxface seems fine with my zoos, frogspawn, kenya tree, star polyps, galexia and various mushrooms. I guess it is a hit and miss as a friend's foxface ate up most of his corals.

schnutzzy

I caught mine one time picking at my zoas when the tank was just lighting up. I don't know if he was picking at algae or a hitchhiker. I haven't seen him bother anything since.

N

nemo_66

mine is safe. havent seen him nip at anything but some algae on my rocks. best of luck.

H

heart & sole

mine never nips at any of my corals in my tank hes been in their for about 4 months

ci11337

i used to have one, and it didn't touch a thing for like 6 months, but when i added a green open brain he started picking at that non stop. They are usually ok though, and i plan to add a new one soon.

C

cmaxwell39

I have one and it has never touched any of my corals. It will graze on the rocks right around the corals or even from the skeletons of braching corals (candy cane) but I have never seen it nip at any corals nor have I had any signs that he may be doing so. I have had him for over a year.
I think there are a few individual foxfaces out there that will give you problems, but from my experience and my research most will be just fine in a reef.

gatorwpb

I have one in my tank. He doesnt seem to cause any problems. He does nip at my orange monti cap, but it doesnt look like he is going for the polyps, just picking for algae. The coral doesnt seem affected at all. great fish with lots of personality.

saltydog

Had one for a couple years...he mowed down my xenia (not a bad thing) didn't bother anything else in the mixed reef.