Foxface respiration rate?

barry cuda

Not finding any answers through searching, so I'll put the question out there. My newish (about 2.5 weeks) foxface has been breathing faster than everybody else ever since I got it. Its behavior is what I'd call normal (a little skittish but not overly so...is much more at ease than it was in the first week), color is good, eats everything I feed, and frequently takes bites of what I assume is the coralline on the rocks. I didn't quarantine this fish, but he got a 2.5 minute freshwater dip per Bob Fenner's suggestion in TCMA before going in. I have lost a previous foxface that slowly declined...believe this was caused by poor nutrition and I am now adding some spirulina flakes every day when I feed the tank.
Its respiration rate is maybe twice that of the gramma, 2 Banggais and sixline wrasse in the tank. This seems high to me. Is it normal for a foxface to breathe fast? I'm keeping a close eye on him just in case anything else looks funny.
Water params: Tank is now stable at 78 deg. (had a couple minor temp spikes due to failed WON heaters...will never buy these again). Ammonia/nitrites both 0...nitrates about 12ish and slowly coming down. SG 1.023, working to bring this up slowly by mixing some salt in my topoff. The only real chemistry change is that I've been buffering to bring up alk...it's come up from 5 to 6 dkh over about a week. Everybody else looks great and is acting normally.