Foxface....spot or no spot?

anonome

Why do some foxfaces have the "norm" black spot, and I have seen some with no spot?
Could it be the difference between the male and female? Or just like I have blue eyes and you may have brown? Just curious.

dogstar

Two different species...
Siganus vulpinus does not have a spot and
Siganus unimaculatus
does.

babyb

i never noticed this until yeasterday i was at the lfs and they had on the tanks "onespot foxface" and "no spot foxface"
is one more hardy than the other

aquareefer

Bot Foxfaces are great aquarium animals. They are hardy fishes that are often some of the sole survivors in a tank crash!
Both species are very similar, with the most notable difference being their their max size. The one with the spot (Siganus unimaculatus) can grow to a max size of about 7.9 inches, while the non-spotted one (Siganus vulpinus) can grow to a larger 9.4 inches.
Remember that both fish have a venomous spine, so be careful where you stick your hand!

anonome

Originally Posted by Dogstar
Two different species...
Siganus vulpinus does not have a spot and
Siganus unimaculatus
does.
Thanks Dogstar....you are the man!! I knew I could depend on someone knowing. I happen to have the unimaculatus, with the spot. Thanks again!!!

dogstar

Originally Posted by Anonome
Thanks Dogstar....you are the man!! I knew I could depend on someone knowing. I happen to have the unimaculatus, with the spot. Thanks again!!!

ahhhhh, glad to help. When I can.
'' the man '' thats a bit much, but thanks.