foxface sucking air at the surface

pipsqueak

Does anyone know why my foxface is sucking air from the water's surface? This happens periodically, even right after a water change. Sometime it does it a lot and other times it's only for a couple minutes.

rwrink

Your water may have low o2 levels. What size of pumps are you using, do you have good water movement at the surface??

pipsqueak

Originally Posted by rwrink
http:///forum/post/2891073
Your water may have low o2 levels. What size of pumps are you using, do you have good water movement at the surface??
There is a MaxiJet 600 at one end of the tank and I am not sure about another pump at the other end of the tank. I assume my bf put a similar one there. There is also a small pump in the middle and a small air pump in the corner with bubbles.
How do we increase the O2 levels?

anonome

I have had my foxface and rabbitfish for over 3 years and they will suck water/air off the top of the tank after eating. I have tested the o2 levels and all is ok, I honestly think this is normal. Enclosed are photos. (The sailfin in this pic is not blowing bubbles, he is after the leftover freeze dried brine on the surface. ) Only the rabbitfish do this, no other fish in the tank.

saka bra

my foxface used to do that too. but i think he was just playing with the water, and sometimes he would spit water out too. its no harm, just an activity he does.

pipsqueak

Well that's reassuring to hear. None of the other fish in our tank do this either. I'll have to make a mental note to check when he does it. Today it was after eating.