Foxthorn/others Sump Design help

osueyedoc

hey foxthorn and others,
i've been researching this site for sump/refugium design schemes. i found foxthorn's design and REALLY liked it: one because it is designed with such attention to detail, two because it is almost exactly the same equipment i plan on using, and three because he received such good constructive criticism on it. now i'm curious to hear what your final plan was, how it turned out, and how well it's working. (sorry, i couldn't figure out how to attach his schematic...if you reply could you please attach it)
here's my plan, please offer any and all suggestions, this is my first setup and i want to do it right.
75G display
30L sump/refugium (Foxthorn's design)
AquaClear Overflow
Nautilus Te
Mag drive 7 or 9.5? (i've heard some conflicting advice)
thanks for any help!
-jeff

osueyedoc

good news...the attachment thing worked
bad news...i sent the wrong image
here was has most-recent design, thanks to others advice.

cboyfan2020

here is mine..i replaced the return pump form a mag 7 to a mag 12 and added a spraybar at the end of the return line.

osueyedoc

cboyfan,
this may be a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the two pumps in your design. i've seen mention of a pump for the skimmer, and another for return in other posts. doesn't an overflow eliminate the need for the first pump or am i wrong?

cboyfan2020

the 1st pump is for my Kent Nautilus skimmer. It is required to run it. The second pump is for the return.

osueyedoc

thanks for the reply. i realized that it was required once i thought about it for a second...sorry for the dumb question.

foxthorn

Thanks for the interest in my sump design osueyedoc!
I think this is a great and workable sump design - however as was mentioned in the original thread here are some things to consider:
- Have a strong enough pump since you will be robbing some GPH off the return to feed the sump.
- Realize that the water feeding the fuge is already skimmed. Some think that it's better to feed it with water right from the overflow from the main tank so the fuge gets first crack at filtering -- others believe it's better to have cleaner water feed the fuge and that the better water quality helps pod/plant/invert growth and still provides for NO3 filtering. Your call.
After all the work I put into figuring and planning that sump - I never built it. After I got that sump just the way I wanted I starting researching basement sumps - and got the itch big time! So now, I'm working on a 100gal rubbermaid trough as a basement refuge with adjoining sump. All my time recently has been working on a basement fish room --- still no water in my tank! Hey, they say take it slow, right! :D
Good luck --- post pics when you get it done!