Frag help plz (pics uncluded)

ok i have a few questions on fragging and wether i can do it?
Gorgian yes or no?

Green star polyps (sorry best pic i had before camera broke) its closed

Various leather? (my smaller toadstool is circles)

Rics?
No good pic sorry my leather blocked its veiw

now since my camera recently broke i have gotten some newer coral i need to nko how to frag
3inch green fuzzy acro
and
Birds nest

C

cmaxwell39

I will help you with the ones I know. First off, star polyps are about as easy as they come as far as fragging goes, just cut the mat and peel off the frag and rubberband or glue it to a new location.
Leathers are pretty easy as well, you can basically just cut it anywhere and rubberband the cut peice to a new location. Don't pull the rubberband to tight though. You can also place a rock next to it and wait until the leather has grown onto that rock and then pull it apart. The peice that stays on the new rock will grow into a full size colony.
I am not sure about rics. I have never fragged them and I have heard that they can be tricky. I will let someone with some expeirence help you on that one.
Most sps I believe that you just cut a branch off of the main colony in order to frag them. ReefkprZ has a video in this section of him fragging a birdsnest. Maybe check that out.

nwdyr

When i frag a gorgonia (sp?) I usually scrape the "skin" off with a razor , it helps the glue stick. I also want to know about the Ric's havent done it yet , but wouls like to! I agree with cmax on the rest

ajclarke00

I just did my first frag... Green Star Polyps. I tore the mat (very easily done) and rubber banded it to the spot I want it to start growing. I have a question though, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, how long should I leave the green star polyps rubber banded? They are rubber banded to a smooth surface that is porous (dead bleached coral branch thing, see pic) and they have been that way for about 2 days. They open up beautifully and look very happy in their new perch, but I am not sure when I should remove the rubber band.

Also, how dangerous are green star polyps to fish? I have a true perc, tailspot blennie, and a pepermint shrimp. I see the shrimp walking all over the polyps, but the fish don't seem to go near it. I am asking because my wife wants to cover our tank in this stuff because she thinks it looks really cool. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

ajclarke00

How will I know? The frag looks pretty happy, but the edges are not sticking to the rocks or anything. Do you know how long it usually rakes?

ibew41

Originally Posted by ajclarke00
http:///forum/post/2642183
I just did my first frag... Green Star Polyps. I tore the mat (very easily done) and rubber banded it to the spot I want it to start growing. I have a question though, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, how long should I leave the green star polyps rubber banded? They are rubber banded to a smooth surface that is porous (dead bleached coral branch thing, see pic) and they have been that way for about 2 days. They open up beautifully and look very happy in their new perch, but I am not sure when I should remove the rubber band.

give it a week on the rubber band the fish will be fine with gsp and dont worry about trying to get it to spread it will grow like a weed in no time
Also, how dangerous are green star polyps to fish? I have a true perc, tailspot blennie, and a pepermint shrimp. I see the shrimp walking all over the polyps, but the fish don't seem to go near it. I am asking because my wife wants to cover our tank in this stuff because she thinks it looks really cool. Any thoughts and/or suggestions?
your fish will be fine with gsp but watch it it will take over your tank and you will not be able to get it out