frag tank build = How much light?

D

dennis210

Building a frag tank system. Will be a 65 g oceanic, drilled with 30 gallon sump. 4 inch sand bed, live rock, carbon filter, quiet one 6000 return, 2 hydor Koralia #3 and 1 #2. I want suggestions for a light to suspend over it.
Was thinking of a double 150 watt MH fixture, but trying not to buy another chiller. Does anyone have a frag tank that will handle sps (acro's) using t-5 lighting? They run much cooler than CMP flor and I have been advised they will work. That was from a salesperson though. Anyone here fragging and growing out without MH?
Thanks in advance
Dennis

chilwil84

i have a 6 pack of retros over my 40 breeder frag tank that is almost all sps. my sps arent quite as good of coloration as they were under mh imo you need a little more nutrient rich environment with t5s and sps to keep that good rich color (there have been a few multi page threads on the other forum on this subject) i do get pretty good growth though. i wouldnt say they give off less heat (to the water)than a 150 mh they def put the water up a few degrees at least.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2621508
Building a frag tank system. Will be a 65 g oceanic, drilled with 30 gallon sump. 4 inch sand bed, live rock, carbon filter, quiet one 6000 return, 2 hydor Koralia #3 and 1 #2. I want suggestions for a light to suspend over it.
Was thinking of a double 150 watt MH fixture, but trying not to buy another chiller. Does anyone have a frag tank that will handle sps (acro's) using t-5 lighting? They run much cooler than CMP flor and I have been advised they will work. That was from a salesperson though. Anyone here fragging and growing out without MH?
Thanks in advance
Dennis
Dennis, I think you can get away with the MH without the chiller if you run fans to disapate the heat and maybe leave the FT uncovered. I still haven't had to add a chiller to my system and temp stays pretty stable has long as the house doesn't get warmer than the tank but I do lose about 7 gallons a week to evaportation. I have a new source for ballasts that is pretty inexpensive if you want to try and DIY on the lighting about $50 for 150w MH, T5 ballasts are priced right too.

D

dennis210

sheetrock, mud, tape, prime and paint the laundry room - then I get a corner for a frag tank! Yes I will document the build and set up!

natclanwy

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2621965
sheetrock, mud, tape, prime and paint the laundry room - then I get a corner for a frag tank! Yes I will document the build and set up!
Let me know when you are ready to start and I'll give you a hand.

gatorwpb

I have 2x150w on a 65g as my DT. Its a 36" Sunpod that I supplemented with t-5 actinic. I dont have heat issues, but I have a fan on my fuge that turns on with the MH.
My SPS is located in the upper half, but they have been growing very nicely. Colors are good too.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by otley 1975
http:///forum/post/2623939
Why are you using a sand bed in a frag tank. Most frag tanks are bare bottom.
probably for extra biological filtration
but i would still go with either 2x150s but 2x 175's would be better for a 60g tank size....you wont need a chiller because with suspension lights you can adjust the hight and wont have any heating issues with the lights 10-12 inches off the top of the water

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by GatorWPB
http:///forum/post/2622769
I have 2x150w on a 65g as my DT. Its a 36" Sunpod that I supplemented with t-5 actinic. I dont have heat issues, but I have a fan on my fuge that turns on with the MH.
My SPS is located in the upper half, but they have been growing very nicely. Colors are good too.
i have the outer orbit by current on my 40g breeder frag tank and it has 2x 150s about probably 6 inches or less above the water and no heat issues

D

dennis210

Thanks all for the replies. I will be going with the 36 inch dual MH (Sunpod).
Sandbed and liverock are all for filtration as well as helping grow small critters that corals use as food stuffs.