Frag Tank Layout

kevin34

I am planning on setting up a 55g frag tank at the end of the summer and trying to think of the best way to layout the shelves. I dont think I want the eggcrage to be snug against the glass because then the snails wont be able to clean much. but if I can somehow make the shelves moveable then I will be able to clean the glass myself and wont need a CUC. but anyways this is what I am thinking so far. any other ideas?

grabbitt

I had the same 3 level setup with my 40 gal. frag tank. I cut out the egg crates to fit the tank and bought a long piece of pvc pipe to chop down the different lengths. In addition to that, I notched each of the pipes in 4 spots so the egg crate would sit safely on the pipe without falling. And since the frags were of varying sizes, I stacked them with the smallest at the bottom so I could tuck each rack under the other to make the tank cleaning easier. I don't know if I have any pics of it since it was from last summer, but if I can find them I'll post them up to better illustrate what I'm talking about. Good luck with the setup.

kevin34

Originally Posted by GRabbitt
http:///forum/post/3080575
I had the same 3 level setup with my 40 gal. frag tank. I cut out the egg crates to fit the tank and bought a long piece of pvc pipe to chop down the different lengths. In addition to that, I notched each of the pipes in 4 spots so the egg crate would sit safely on the pipe without falling. And since the frags were of varying sizes, I stacked them with the smallest at the bottom so I could tuck each rack under the other to make the tank cleaning easier. I don't know if I have any pics of it since it was from last summer, but if I can find them I'll post them up to better illustrate what I'm talking about. Good luck with the setup.
wasnt quite able to follow that haha but it did give me an idea with the stacking. if I make 3 seperate shelves (one tall, one medium, one basically on the sandbed) and have the tallest shelf be the widest and the shortest shelf be the narrowest (by just fractions of an inch) ill be able to slide the tallest shelf over the middle one and then the middle one over the shortest one basically making 3 layers. once i clean the areas I need to i can just slide the shelves back. this make sense?

windlasher

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/3080529
I am planning on setting up a 55g frag tank at the end of the summer and trying to think of the best way to layout the shelves. I dont think I want the eggcrage to be snug against the glass because then the snails wont be able to clean much. but if I can somehow make the shelves moveable then I will be able to clean the glass myself and wont need a CUC. but anyways this is what I am thinking so far. any other ideas?
Why do you need three levels?

kevin34

different corals need different light intensities. SPS on the highest level, zoas and softies on the middle level and LPS on the bottom

kevin34

Originally Posted by Extinct 1ne
http:///forum/post/3080946
LPS on the bottom? Wouldn't the Softies go on the bottom?
they could. both are mid to low light. i just usually keep my acans on the bottom. but I have rics at the top of my tank that are thriving. for softies i will really only have rics. i dont like many leathers besides the yellow figi.

grabbitt

Originally Posted by Kevin34
http:///forum/post/3080608
wasnt quite able to follow that haha but it did give me an idea with the stacking. if I make 3 seperate shelves (one tall, one medium, one basically on the sandbed) and have the tallest shelf be the widest and the shortest shelf be the narrowest (by just fractions of an inch) ill be able to slide the tallest shelf over the middle one and then the middle one over the shortest one basically making 3 layers. once i clean the areas I need to i can just slide the shelves back. this make sense?
Indeed it does. The only issue you may be facing is with the sandbed. Since you have one in the frag tank, it will be hard to move the shelves without stirring up the beds a decent amount.
If you're willing to deal with it, then by all means go for it, but have you considered a sump?
My frag tank was a 40 gal 1' tall acrylic with a 40 gal. sump underneath with the LR and substrate in a baffle in the sump below. It keeps the frag tank easier to clean, as well as reducing paranoia if one of my idiot hermits knocked frags around since they seemed to fare worse face down in the substrate rather than on the acrylic bottom.
Just my .02

grabbitt

Also forgot to add - with a sump, it allows the option of adding a skimmer (instead of a crappy HOB on the frag tank itself) and whatever additional filtration you feel is necessary (eg bio-balls, etc.). Nothing makes a frag tank look nicer than a clean display with nothing hanging off the sides but a couple nozzles and a simple dump tube in the back to cycle the water between the sump and the frag tank, imo

kevin34

i dont plan on having a sandbed in the frag tank and I will be hooking up a sump and filling it with live rock and stuff. and I also have a huge HOB filter that I will prolly just grow cheato in.