Frag Tank Lighting

I'm going to be setting up a 20 gal frag tank in the next few days. I have an old PC unit that I'm not using, I think its 110watt. Will this fixture be enough for softies if I put them very high up in the tank?

The fixture is 48'' long so I'm going to have a 20gal and 15gal next to each other. So it will only be 55watts on each tank. Will this suffice if the softies are only about 6'' away from the light?

dplantz

T-5s are better for frag growth, in my opinion. You could grow some softies and zoanthids in these tanks, though they would grow very slow, if at all.

grubsnaek

T-5s my vote, but if not them, do VHO....u get ur bang for the buck with softies....youll have plenty light on both tanks...

Ok so, I took the 48 gallon fixture apart and cut it so I can have both 55watt bulbs over the 20gal. Do you think this will be anough light now?

nano reefer

it wont be 55 watts per tank.... 110 per tank. you think the light rays will split in half? no. wait. i am wrong. wtf was i saying. its getting late. my bad.

interex216

Originally Posted by Smellslikefish
http:///forum/post/2685560
Ok so, I took the 48 gallon fixture apart and cut it so I can have both 55watt bulbs over the 20gal. Do you think this will be anough light now?
for softies prob be ok for right now but as we stated i would consider some t5's