Frag Tank Need Help

drew2005

I'm starting up a small 10 gallon frag tank. I need more room in the DT, so i have to start fragging. Here's a list of things i'm going to buy for it. Can someone please tell me if this stuff is good enough. I'll be fragging zoas, toadstool, xenia, yellow polyps. I'm probably going with no sand. Heres the list....
Penguin Bio Wheel 100
Visitherm Stealth 50w heater
Current Satellite 20" 40w of light dual daylight/actinic bulb
Do I need anything else??

drew2005

Originally Posted by Tarball
power head & saltwater...

I forgot to put powerhead on the list. I have that and the saltwater.

hypertek99

A few live rocks for natural filtration since your not using sand. Oh and frag racks with egg crates. You can get them at home depot or lowes in the lighting department.

ninjamini

dump the Penguin Bio Wheel 100. nitrate factory.
Get some cheato and put it in a corner in a dish.
Auto top off. small tanks salinity changes fast with evaporation.

sh00tist

Keeping a 10 gallon stable is a very difficult endeavour,i would seriously consider a bigger tank or better still plumbing it into your display tank in some manner,at the very minimun i would refrain from placing any fish in there,good luck.

m0nk

With a frag tank you're better off with more length and less depth, plus the items mentioned before, 10 gal is tough to keep clean and the bio-wheel will trap nitrates. Take the bio-wheel off the penguin and it'll do fine. As for the tank, I'm actually setting one up right now using a 20L and a 30" Current Sundial T-5 fixture, which has 4x 24w T-5 bulbs. I'll also be using egg-crate to place the frags on and some live rubble for gluing them. I may also go the chaeto in the corner dish route too, just because there won't be a sump or skimmer, and I'll need something other than water changes to help keep nitrates at 0. Just my 2 cents...

drew2005

My reason for doing a small tank is cost. I can get this tank up and running for under $100. Since it's my first attempt at running a second tank and fragging corals, I want to keep the cost down until I learn a bit more. Then in the future upgrade to a bigger one. Please explain the chaeto in a dish. What do i do, just get some chaeto and drop in the tank?