fraggin a ricordea?

30-xtra high

i have a green ricordea, i got it about 2 weeks ago, and it has been doing pretty good, i got it at about 2 inches across, and its already 3 inches across, and i've been wondering how to frag it? or if it is possible to frag?
and as a side question.. is there a difference between ricordea and mushrooms?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
i have a green ricordea, i got it about 2 weeks ago, and it has been doing pretty good, i got it at about 2 inches across, and its already 3 inches across, and i've been wondering how to frag it? or if it is possible to frag?
and as a side question.. is there a difference between ricordea and mushrooms?
cut it down the middle like a pizza

30-xtra high

cut it..?
if i cut it do i have to cut through the foot part?,
and i noticed when ever it is unhappy little noodle things come out, and i was told they are digestice filiments, won't all those fall out?, and won't its guts and insides fall out??

jerthunter

Cutting through the center would be best but they should grow back as long as you cut a big enough piece pretty much anywhere. My ricordea give off a white slime when they are bugged, never seen any noodles come out while doing anything including cutting them. But if you are nervous to cut them (like if you only have one and don't want to risk it) just give it a month or so and there is a good chance it will split itself, then you'll have two to mess with so you won't have to worry as much about it in case you kill one.

30-xtra high

alright, i think i might take your second advice, cause this is my only one, just starting off my reef lol, consisting of a ricorda and some yellow polyps.. but can anybody answer my question?, is there a dif, between mushrooms and ricordeas?

aztec reef

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
cut it..?
if i cut it do i have to cut through the foot part?,
and i noticed when ever it is unhappy little noodle things come out, and i was told they are digestice filiments, won't all those fall out?, and won't its guts and insides fall out??

some of it might fall out but eventually it will heal,(no problem). just like stated above , make sure is a big enuff piece like, like 1/2's or 1/4's of it.. :happyfish

jerthunter

I know ricordea and mushrooms are similar and I would call a ricordea a type of mushroom. I don't know specifics about how closely related they are. As far as care, they seem to like more light then standard mushrooms and most mushrooms (from my experience atleast) like rather low flow.

aztec reef

they are in the same family, they just ain't twins.. they're not exactly the same that's why they have different requirements.