Fragging Monti Caps

cedarreef

I have a large monti cap that has started to encrust on a nearby rock. It's getting extremely close to my pearlberry acro and I need some way to remove it from the rock. Is there any easy way to get an encrusted piece of a monti off a large rock without cutting the rock and still getting a decent frag of the coral? Thanks in advance!

mrdc

IME, I had to pull as much of it off the rock as possible with my fingers. I then picked the rest off with a kent scraper. I didn't get it all but what was left died what I left was very little. I also had to use the scraper to get it off the glass.

aquaknight

You could just break as much of it off as possible for a nice frag, then whatever's left on the rock, just cover in kalk paste.

cedarreef

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3256561
IME, I had to pull as much of it off the rock as possible with my fingers. I then picked the rest off with a kent scraper. I didn't get it all but what was left died what I left was very little. I also had to use the scraper to get it off the glass.
did you get any pieces that would be decent frags from that? did any pieces you pulled off live?

spanko

Leave it alone. The coral will figure it out. There will be some fighting at first, one of them will probably turn white where they are touching, but it will settle out on it's own.

gill again68

Ok so my Green cap is outgrowing its space. Its after a power head now. I really hate to frag it, its just a very nice looking coral. Upgrading to a larger tank not an option. So with that said, what is the recommended way to frag. Just break it off? Can I do that in the tank? Do you want a piece? Do you have something I want?? Do they call it a bail out because we are sinking?? Thanks in advance for the tips. Here are a couple of pics. You can see it on the glass as well as its heading for the power head. No I dont want to move the power head LOL. Its probably about 12" in diameter. 18" deep tank.

mrdc

I just snap off a piece when it gets to close to the power heads. I now have montipora growing up my overflow box. Not sure if I should allow it or start breaking it off before it grows too much.

S

smartorl

Have I mentioned how I have that compulsive desire to break one? Everytime I see a big, flowing monti all I can think of is how fun it would be to break it.

J

jstdv8

Nice monti, looks like a Ly Seng, but without the raised growth on the green area