fragging plug recomendation?

mkzimms

ive always used random rubble rock pulled out of my sump, but my new 40 breeder project is going to include a egg crate frag station.
what type of frag plugs do you recommend? ive seen agronite, ceramic and a couple of other ones. whats the best? i tend to lean towards the agronite because because i think they would blend in better once placed on rock but i really have no clue other than aesthetics.
ill be fragging a mixture of everything from zoas and mushrooms to sps and lps.

joebob7

You can also make your own frag plugs if you are interested in that. There are a few threads on this site and other forums that tell how to make fake live rock. To make plugs you can just shape your homemade rock into plug shapes.

reefkprz

I have used just about everything imaginable to frag onto, there are pros and cons to everything, some people dont like the looks of plugs preferring rock, others dont care and like the stems on plugs for placing corals, some hate marble chunks, or other things that dont look natural. I say go with wichever you find mkroe aesthetically pleasing and just handle in a manner appropriate for the type.

M

markeo99

they are made like cement and they need to be cured to remove chemicals

joebob7

Another idea is fragging on to tiles. I just put some zoa frags on to floor tile pieces. I hope they work well.
i will keep you posted if anyone cares!

teresaq

I just bought a small sheet of the natural stone tile, the pieces are about an inch by inch-are these ok to use, do they need to be cured
Also looking at small 2x2 ceramic wall tile - can these be used. The ones that are glazed on one side.??
T

howardj

I bought some tiles today from Menards. They didn't have any clear ones :(
I got some with a colored background..
I think they are 'bathroom' tiles.. 1"x1"

midas

If you use marble tile be sure it it pure white, no other color. Some of the color's can contain natural medals that can leach into your water, and that isn't good for your tank. I would think it would be the same for all tile. Anyone know on the other types?

nano reefer

get a bunch of dixie plastic shot glass size cups, go to home depot and buy a bad of cement, pour the like 3/4 of an inch of cement into each dixie cup. let them dry and oak in vinegar for 48 hours, you now have an infinity of frag plug/plates/frag things for really cheap.

mkzimms

i got the fired ceramic ones in from boston aqua farms and they're crap. very brittle and they feel like they're going to crumble in my hands. many got smashed during shipping.

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2648579
get a bunch of dixie plastic shot glass size cups, go to home depot and buy a bad of cement, pour the like 3/4 of an inch of cement into each dixie cup. let them dry and oak in vinegar for 48 hours, you now have an infinity of frag plug/plates/frag things for really cheap.
Will these have to cure? If so, how long?

bronco300

if you do cement, you need to get portland cement, as they dont have all the junk like sand,etc inside that will cause issues...and yes, you'll have to cure it out.

mr_x

i know someone who uses the rubber nipples from baby bottles as the forms for his plugs. when they are done, they fit perfectly in the eggcrate. you can make plugs or disks out of cement/concrete and put them in the toilet tank for a couple weeks to cure them. i don't think a little sand is going to effect anything. using straight portland will result in weak disks. they don't have to hold up bridges, but i've seen people make them and they crumble in your hand if you look at them funny.
i don't think soaking cement in vinegar for a few days will be enough. i think a few weeks in the toilet tank is a better procedure.