"fragging" sand sifting star?

paintballer768

The little white stars are awesome, they feed on detritus and any remaining food. Plus theres usually tons which is great

blcard

My sandsiftting star does great. I've had him now for almost a year. No problems at all. Plenty of tiny white bristle stars and the bristle worms as well.
I see tons of pods along the sand as well.
My tank is a 125.

ophiura

Originally Posted by armywife1314
http:///forum/post/2625848
i have a little one about the size of a quarter in my 72, i dont have anything else that really cleans the sand, the snails are but they clean the glass more than anything.
THis is not a sand sifter star, it is an Asterina star. These reproduce by splitting themselves. And they do not get large.
I would never, ever recommend doing it with a sand sifter star (nor ever keeping one). Most sand sifter stars will die in captivity, it is a general rule, IMO. They have a dismal long term survival rate.
It is not true that all stars will regenerate so easily - some moreso than others, and definitely in our tanks a sand sifter is not one of the stars that will :(

ophiura

No, if it is an Asterina, most will be harmless. Do a search on this board and you will find lots.