Fragging Xenia

monsinour

So my local reefers club did the demo of how to frag xenia with my rock. Someone said that they took a video of how to do it. I havent seen it posted yet, just pics. From what I can see by my rock, it looks like they just cut the rock where the xenia was to get it off. Is there a way to get the xenia off without chopping up the rock? I ask because I have some growing almost ontop of my dragon eyes and I dont want to remove the xenia while killing/removing the dragon eyes. I would like to do this removal this weekend. Any suggestions other than a scaple and a very steady hand?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/387008/fragging-xenia#post_3401991
So my local reefers club did the demo of how to frag xenia with my rock. Someone said that they took a video of how to do it. I havent seen it posted yet, just pics. From what I can see by my rock, it looks like they just cut the rock where the xenia was to get it off. Is there a way to get the xenia off without chopping up the rock? I ask because I have some growing almost ontop of my dragon eyes and I dont want to remove the xenia while killing/removing the dragon eyes. I would like to do this removal this weekend. Any suggestions other than a scaple and a very steady hand?
My dear....just tilt the rock the Xenia is on, and put another rock above it touching it...the Xenia will clinb right on the rock for you in about 4 days. I would never go cutting on a Xenia coral, they are too easy to manipulate onto another rock. I would get the Xenia started on another rock and then deal with the dragon eyes. But it will not be this weekend if you do it my way.

I say cut that little bugger off and poke it with a toothpick into another rock where you want it. It will look like a mess for a day or so, but it will grow to the rock and multiply. I wouldn't worry about killing xenia - it grows like a weed and I almost treat it like one.

teresaq

If you cut it, any left will regrow. They are usually pretty easy to peel off - just use your thumb nail or even a butter knife - get under the edge and peel.
Also as flower suggested, they will climb to the highest point so tilt the rock and place a smaller rock above the stem.
T

Oh yeah, forgot that whatever was left would regrow. I guess that shows you how long its been since I've had xenia. lol. I agree with TeresaQ on this one. A fingernail or butterknife would be better if you want to completely remove it from that spot.
One time a snail shell was so close to a xenia that the xenia grew on it, and then one of my hermit crabs took the shell an was climbing around the tank with it. That was pretty neat. :D

monsinour

So I took it upon myself to take the xenia off the rock as best I could as a newb. I grabbed a steak knife as my scaple was broken and no one told me. Here is what the zoo rock looked like before I removed all of the xenia.

And here it is afterwards.

There are still 2 pieces of xenia in the tank. One large one that is way down low so it has plenty of room to climb up.

And another very small piece that can grow up and might give me problems in the future. It was so small that I felt bad for it and thought I should leave it alone.

While the rock was out, I decided to frag my really fast growing tubbs. I know they dont look blue in my tank, but I am sure under MH or LEDs they would return to their blue color. These things were growing so fast, they took over the back side of the rock that I didnt see. I ended up making 4 frags of them and each one is 5+ heads. I also found the floating dragon eyes and mounted them to a plug. Heres their pics.

So, who thinks I took out too much xenia?

monsinour

The frags are doing wonderfully. They have all opened up and are looking rather well. I guess I am a little better at this than I give myself credit for. Question: is there a drawback to using acrylic plugs as opposed to ceramic (or whatever the other kind are) plugs?
The 2 frags in the sand:

The 2 frags in the rock:

The solitary frag in the other rock took a tumble and the glue didnt hold. I had to reattach it. I will post a pic of it tomorrow.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tur4k http:///t/387008/fragging-xenia#post_3416339
In my tank it's, "I can't believe how fast xenia shrinks". I've tried Xenia twice and both times it shrank away to nothing. It's a shame...I really like the pulsing motion.
Xenia likes nitrates..not allot but some. Most of us strive for 0 nitrates and Xenia won't live. However if you have Xenia and some low nitrates, your reading will say 0 because the Xenia feeds on it. Some people keep Xenia for that very reason. It's also why Xenia makes a great starter coral, most new tanks (under 1 year) has just what Xenia needs to grow happy and healthy.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387008/fragging-xenia#post_3416364
Xenia likes nitrates..not allot but some. Most of us strive for 0 nitrates and Xenia won't live. However if you have Xenia and some low nitrates, your reading will say 0 because the Xenia feeds on it. Some people keep Xenia for that very reason. It's also why Xenia makes a great starter coral, most new tanks (under 1 year) has just what Xenia needs to grow happy and healthy.
I agree totally.... +1

tur4k

I guess my macro's (and skimmer) outcompete it. I've never had a reading other than 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.