Fragging Zoas

meowzer

OK...I might try this
I have a question though
I have read about it, BUT would like some personal experiences
They are really slimey.....after cutting it at the base, do you glue it immediately to the frag plug? (any tricks, or suggestions)
Can you cut it anywhere?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
p.s....I also want to cut a piece off my leather tree.....do I just cut it and let it heal? Or do I have to attach it to something?

btldreef

With Zoanthids I've always just cut at the base with a razor blade and then just glued immediately to a frag disk or another piece of rock, it's worked for me, although I really have no idea if it is the "correct" way of doing it. I've also always tried to frag in a separate container, but have done it in tank as well (which I think is not recommended).
As for the leather, not sure, I've only fragged Kenya's on accident by hitting them too hard and a piece falls off, they seem to heal fine.

monsinour

for the leather, my last meeting with my local club said to cut them where it is astetically pleasing and then glue it to the plug. The debate was how to glue it. Either glue the cut area down or leave that part out in the open. It would make sense that if the plug was clean and you superglued the cut area down to the plug the risk of infection would be minimal.

teresaq

when I did zoos, I always used a small knife to pry the polyps off the rocks, then glued them to a plug. You cant cut them off at the stem, they need the mat.
My leather, i cut about an inch around the dish, then cut that into pieces. I then used glue or netting to attach to a plug.
T
be sure to wear eye protection and gloves.

meowzer

LOL...I have not done it yet......I'm a chicken.....I think the leather will be easier cause it is a tree, and has lots of branch's
Probably won;t happen till Wednesday, or maybe even Friday haha

meowzer

LOL...I cut a tiny piece of the leather and panicked...haha.....it was not as soft as I thought it would be.....and now the big tree is really mad at me,
here is the sad little leather.....and a tiny piece of orange digitata

raymond2688

you can put a tooth pick through the base and ruber band it around each end (leather) thats what i do. it seems if i dont they come off the plug. zoos are easy after you do your first one. I always use a dremel tool when i can and just cut the rock. If it is on a larger rock peeling it is ok.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/382854/fragging-zoas#post_3345119
Hey meowzer what is that to the right of the digitata?
That is the crazy stuff I have growing.....I think it is called Nemastoma....a really pretty macro algae....BUT...I am afraid it may be smothering my orange ricordia....AND I have a bunch growing behind that rock, that has doubled in size this last week....

meowzer

Well I am not sure what to do about it.....it's beautiful and all...BUT as I said earlier....what is it doing to my ricordia

IDK if I can cut it and toss it in another tank or what

1snapple

No problem eh.
I used to live in NW Montana so we had a couple canadians. wen't to canada every once in a while.

monsinour

canada and NY are soo the opposite of each other. Once while in the city i overheard a cabbie say," Hey, get off the car!" Then in montreal I heard a cabbie say,"Get off the car, eh!"