Fragging Zoo? How?

jpc763

So I have a colony on a large rock in my tank. I cannot remove the rock as it has several other corals on it. I need to just frag off 5-8 polyps of this zoo colony.
The problem is, I don't know how to do it. I know that you cut off the desired frag, but then how do you get that frag off the rock? It is secured pretty strong on there!

Here is a picture...

michaeltx

usually you can cut the area you want to frag off the rock and slowly peal the mat away from the rock. not sure if you already know or not but as a warning wear gloves and dont touch your mouth, face, or any cuts with those gloves as some zoos are toxiv when fragged.
Mike

J

jrthomas40

i think the problem is he cant take the rock out of the tank because of the other coral on the same rock...but it will be tough to start the peel in the tank maybe try starting to peel the mat with a set of tweezers

jpc763

Yea, I have gloves. Thanks for that.
So in the picture, where do I start peeling if I cut where the arrow is pointing?
Thanks, John

bronco300

i've been fragging in tank for rocks i can't get out...and just dig a plain razor blade into the rock...most of the time i've found the first layer of rock under a zoo mat is fairly fragile, so you can usually dig into it unless its a boulder type rock...but it makes it very easy to get under...but of course in tank fragging is more dangerous if you slice into some doing it and have your whole arm in tank...so protect as much as you can...easy to get cuts on your fingers from using the blade to(even on the non sharp side)