Freakin Emerald Crab......UHHHHHH dang it!!

crzyfshygy

I have 2 emeralds in the tank to help with bubble algae and the bigest one is always crawling on my corals and nibbling on them. Its driving me nuts. He used to hang out in my Digitata and damaged it really bad with his claws no he was on my Pocillapora and nibbling on that. I have to get him out when I have a chance.
The other one does nothing of the sort he leaves them alone.
Anyone else experience this where the crab kinda picks on the sps corals??

fishy7

I have one and he just hangs about the tank taking care of business. May have to put him in permanent time out. :thinking:

emmitt

Ours was great for months, then one day i walk in and hes eating a stand of yellow polyps :mad:
My daughter still asks why the green crab had to go back to the ocean!
p.s.- i didnt really put him back in the ocean, thats just what we tell her when they go back to the lfs.

fishy7

I am feeling he ran out of food, so what is next? some yummy polyps.
That is a great excuse for your daughter.

I do have a suggestion.... They love green bubble algae. Buy a piece of LR with a bunch on it. I bet he does not touch any other stuff in your tank. Ohh and break on of those bubbles one time and have it spread. Instant food source.

jacklax

Yeah...but mine must be retarded. I've had three in my tank for almost 3 months...and not a single piece of bubble algae has been eaten. I don't have much in the way of algae at all in fact...they just keep picking around the rocks.

crzyfshygy

Originally Posted by FISHY7
I am feeling he ran out of food, so what is next? some yummy polyps.
That is a great excuse for your daughter.

I do have a suggestion.... They love green bubble algae. Buy a piece of LR with a bunch on it. I bet he does not touch any other stuff in your tank. Ohh and break on of those bubbles one time and have it spread. Instant food source.
Hello....I do not mean to be rude...but did you even read this thread. Like the first paragraph in it
These things are starting to piss me off and I am about to have some crad salad. A $70 pc pf Pocillapora is woth alot more to me than a $3.99 Emerald......who doesn't even eat any bubble alge!

emmitt

I will never put another emerald in my tank. I'd say get it out. I literally took every piece out to get mine(luckily didnt have nearly as much then). I have a very small one now that came in as a hitchhiker. He's evaded my tongs and fondue skewer like 10 times but if i ever catch him in the open...... i'm gonna get medieval on his a**!

bonebrake

Man, I was going to get one of these to get rid of my bubble algae, but if they don't eat it forget it!
:mad: