Free 200 Gal

kevin01

My Uncle has a free 200 with stand that he is willing to give me. There is only one problem. The back glass has a huge spider crack and leaks like a sieve. I hate to pass up the free aquarium. A new piece of glass that size would be almost more than a new tank, but I have not priced it. I was told that I could use Marine grade Plywood coated with Marine epoxy for the back. Not sure of a really good way to attach it though. Any one have any ideas how I could get this aquarium and turn it into a beautiful reef?

Kevin,
Although the plywood idea is a good one, realize that there will be no other support on the glass where your cracks are, and a 200 gal. tank would be placing an enormous ammount of pressure on the glass. You see the epoxy would seal up the cracks but for how long? And are you willing to wake up one morning to find your investment all over your floor? and 3rd, just the move alone will put stress on all of the glass.
You might be able to get away with replacing that part with acrylic, but I can't tell you that it is a solution. Personally I would purchase a new tank and accept his offer this way you get ahead by having all the equipment he has (lighting sump etc..)
Dan

ottogol

i would have to agree with dan he is right about all the"goodies" that u still get for free but to lose the investment that might go thru the cracks isnt worth the problems :rolleyes:

whipple

HEY TAKE THE TANK AND SELL IT FOR A REPTILE CAGE KEEP THE STAND AND WORK FROM THERE ATLEAST ITS A START