Free Crab To Good Home.

bishop237

I have a very unusual crab in my setup that I have to get rid of. I've had him now for over 2 years, and he is about the size of a baby's fist. He is a white color, furry looking, and noone can tell me what he is. He is NOT a gorilla crab... I acquired one of those in a live rock that I had to get rid of, and know that this crab is definitly not a gorilla crab.
Here is what you need to know about him...
When he is fed, he's fine with the other fish. I have him in a tank with a clown fish and the fish is fine. I keep him fed with frozen sand eels, but if he gets hungry he will go hunting. He has eaten all the hermit crabs, and snails, and caught a butterfly fish that I had... didn't eat it because the fish got away, but the fish died becasue it got injured in the attack. He also ate a purple starfish that I had.
The crab has burrowed out a sort of 'cave' in one of the live rocks that he lives in. He is an awesome creature, very fun to watch and feed... I will hand feed him sometimes. But I am looking to get a lionfish, and he will most definitly catch and eat it. Faster fish he has trouble catching.
But I have had him for a little while, watched him shed his skin a number of times, and he's pretty much survived the longest out of everything in the tank.
I would like to see him get put in a good home. He is a very cool creature.
He kind of looks like a tarantula.
I am in Cleveland, Ohio, and can drop him off with someone, or they can pick him up.

unleashed

sorry to comment on this but it doesnt sound like a good tank crab have you tried giving it to a LFS?

bishop237

Depends on the tank if it's a good tank crab or not. I had it in a 20 gallon setup with one tomato clown, and everything was fine. I just moved my stuff into a 55 gallon and I want to get more fish, including a lion, and he'll probalbly catch it. If I set up a little nano tank, he would be the perfect addition. He is one of the coolest things to watch in the tank.
And I don't want to just give it to a LFS... the ones around me would probalbly just let it die.

bishop237

Here is a photo... sorry it took me a bit to put one up. He is half out of his little cave dwelling.
It's the best I could get... he will run back into his cave when he sees me.
He is still available, and prefer someone to come and pick him up.

bishop237

He's not a Teddy Bear crab... claws are different. And When I had an anemone in there, he only ate it, not held on to it.

bishop237

He is awesome! And very hardy! He is eating sand eels now... and he will eat some of the leftover flakes.
He is still here for anyone who wants to come and pick him up. I am on the east side of Cleveland.
Would love to trade him for something...

njfish77

i have a good idea instead of trying to find the thing a home just flush it. Its a non-reef safe crab who wants that?

how kool is he!!!!!!!!!!!!! but hubby said no
doesnt want him to eat our coral or old snails. he's a party pooper
i'll try to work on him some more. thanks for getting the pic up!
FishyWife

1journeyman

Originally Posted by njfish77
i have a good idea instead of trying to find the thing a home just flush it. Its a non-reef safe crab who wants that?

I love my "non-Reef" safe crab! He lives in my fuge.
The right habitat makes for great display of unusual creatures.