Free Cured Rock - but, would you use

kingzfan

Hi everyone...I decided to Set up my 125 gallon tank. I'm going to make it a FOWLR.
A LFS that I used to go to for a long time bought out another place and said that he didn't want to keep this rock and was just going to throw it away. I told him that I would take it off his hands and he gave it to me for free. The rock was in the store fully cured for about 7 years. (I used to go to the shop when the other owners had it). I just noticed it looks more like the rock you would use for a Fresh Water setup
My question to all of you is "would you use this rock or only keep it long enough to cycle the tank"?
Any/all opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ca161406

why wouldnt you keep it?
if for some reason you dont wan2 keep it ill pay you shipping and labor to have it shipped to my door step
hahahah

Originally Posted by ca161406
http:///forum/post/2890350
why wouldnt you keep it?
if for some reason you dont wan2 keep it ill pay you shipping and labor to have it shipped to my door step
hahahah
That's what I was thinking. Color comes and goes on rocks so I wouldn't be concerned about the dark brownish color.

crypt keeper

Id Tank about 6-8 inches of water out of that thing and save it before you add the sand. Put it in a bucket then top off as needed. Looking good.

small triggers

there would be no reason not to keep the rock, atleast as base rock. You could always buy liverock to put on top after you do your sand. And, it hs some nice color to it, it will blend in without a problem.

dustyboy316

It's weird how it dosen't have holes or anything. Looks like big pieces of charcoal.
That being said take it. Like the other poster said it can at least be base rock.

ophiura

Can you break a piece off to look at the cleaner surface. It looks like carbonate rock to me, which is what LR is...but it helps to be sure.

dustyboy316

There isn't any rock that is bad too put in saltwater tanks though is there?
Except for rocks dipped in acid or soap and such haha but that should be obvious.

ophiura

Yes, actually quite a few used in freshwater setups are not good plans for saltwater tanks...slate, granite, etc.

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2890709
Yes, actually quite a few used in freshwater setups are not good plans for saltwater tanks...slate, granite, etc.
Is that because they have salt in them that leeches out or calcium or other parts?
Just kind of curious, I would never think of adding any.

ophiura

Well, they have various issues, apart from not being the sort of substrates you find on a reef. Granite, for example, can have mineral impurities (eg you often see rust on the outside from Iron). For the most part, they do not offer the same porosity and buffering capacity, and may not sustain the same biological diversity as standard live rock.
So basically most people stick with carbonate rocks (limestone) because it is what reefs are composed of, tends not to have impurities, tends to be very porous, and has the added benefit of providing some natural buffering capacity.

kingzfan

Thanks for all the response...What about the color...I was looking at the rock and it is nice and pourous. But, i do like the look of the Fiji Live Rock. Also...I was wondering how much rock is too much. Should I keep putting more rock. I have a 250gal sump and little Giant pump. I also have to overhang Penguin filters more for water flow.
Also...how much sand would be needed for this tank? Can I use Quickrete play sand as a base with live sand on top?
My stock list: (going to be awhile before it gets stocked)
1. Black Volitan Lion
2. Panther Grouper
3. Humu Humu Trigger
4. Some kind of eel (haven't decided yet) x 2
Thanks for everything

renogaw

you can buy play sand for your base sand, just do the vinegar test (if it bubbles, it's fine). home depot carries Pavestone which is doing rather well with the test.
there is a live sand calculator on the left under live rock live sand.
another reason you don't want to use granite is because it can leach arsenic

pbnj

Use it, but definitely add some "fresh" live rock. At 7 years old, that rock may need to be "recharged" a bit.