Free stuff from a friend, should I take it?

msb27

Ive got a buddy from work thats got a year and a half old reef. He keeps trying to give me stuff from his tank. Ive taken a few things from him including advise. But I just dont know any more. I mean according to some members on this board he doesnt do things "their way". Like, he has clams under his VHOs which I read was a big NO-NO. Gotta have MHs for clams. And hes got this plenum thing which I read was a waste of money and you dont need it because theres not one in the ocean. And he uses those piece of crap powersweep power heads. Man I dont how his tank is still alive. To you posters that rip on people because they dont have what you have, read broomer5's signature, YOUR TANK YOUR CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockster

Just take the stuff from his tank if he gives it to you. You may or may not follow his advise, it's up to you. As for the clams, not all clams need MH. Derasa, for example, do well with VHOs. Crocea and maxima prefer MH. Derasa wouldn't mind MH either.

fishfood

What kind of stuff does he want to give you? Like was already stated you don't have to take his advise but if he is giving you coral or fish that would survive in your tank and not cause problems why not take it.

free is almost always good. :cool: but, as always, check it out for yourself before you accept the goods, it may save you some frustration in the long run. yeah, i know some people call that "looking a gift horse in the mouth.." but on the other hand, remember the "trojan horse"? good luck on your acquisition(s) :)

javajoe

Free powersweep piece of crap powerheads are cheaper than any other brand :D
i would use the powersweeps until they die- then replace them with the kind you watn to use... or even keep one to use for mixing your salt water for water changes... i would jsut make sure you clean them raelly well, take em apart and make sure all decayed matter is gone....