Freedom Filter

shaunda

I have a 125 gallon oceanic tank. It is 6 feet long. I am using the Freedom Filter. You can check out their website freedomaquarium.com. This is a new filter on the market and I have not really talked to anyone who has used this. It seemed easy and the customer service is amazing! My tank water has been very clear from the very begginning. I also have a maxi-jet 1200 power head set up on the opposite end of the tank. I have put in 125 lbs of live sand and some rock that has the holes all through them (not live). I have checked my water and the chemicals are Salinity at 1.022. Temp is 82. PH is 8.2, Ammonia is 1.0, Nitrites are .25 and Nitrates are 5.0. I know the ammonia is high and I guess that is supposed to go down. My tank has been set up for about 3 weeks. How does everything else sound? I am so new at this and any suggestions would be great. I live in Pottsboro which is about 2 hrs North of Dallas. There isn't a LFS here. The closest one I believe is in Plano. "Aquatic Design". My last cardinalfish also died today. I am now down to 3 fish! A foxface and two clown anemones.
I keep reading about all these different filters and pumps and was curious if anyone else has used this freedom filter and do you have any suggestions on my setup. Thanks for any help!!!

ahpchagi

I think you are rushing things a bit. I cycled my tank with only a couple of common damsels. It took about 2 months before the ammonia, nitrates, ect. stabilized. I did have about 40 lbs. of LR, and 25 lbs. live sand. The Damsels made it and I have since upgraded the fish. (To less agressive species. The damsels were very territorial and mean) I think after your tank settles a bit you might want to think of a little more water movement. The rock will become "live" after a while. I was real tempted to just clear up the water and start adding livestock but a friend taught me patience and my wife fought me for every buck I wanted to spend. Things are good now. Tanks been running 2 Yrs.

shaunda

I need to learn patience. I have lost too much money already. I got really bad info from ***** about what to start the tank up with. I live 2 hrs from closest Fish Store besides cool ol' *****. Do you think I should add LR and my water moves around quite a bit already. I notice the fish sometimes go backwards because they get in the flow.

hot883

You are still cycling the tank. THERE should NOT be any living creature or fish in there. Especially anemones. Please read and research. You are starting out wrong and will kill all the fish and it will be frustrating for you. Patience is something you must have in the hobby.