French Angel Medium Size

alvin

Hello Again SWF,
I went to my LFS, and it looks like they have a good looking French Angel Medium size (3-4 inches). I was wondering if it will eat my cleaner shrimp that I have in my tank right now. I was thinking about a changing Emperor angel, but it was really messed up after a few days. Here is my stock list:
110 Gal Tank
1 - AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer
2 - Fluval 405 Canister Filters
2 - MJ 1200 PowerHeads
100lbs Live Rock (Looking to get more)
1 - FoxFace Lo
3 - Green Chromis
2 - False Perc Clowns
1 - Pink/Blue Shrimp Goby
1 - Bangai Cardinal
1 - Sally Foot Crab
1 - Cleaner Shrimp
5 - Hermits
1 - Turbo Snail
Would a French Angel be good for my tank? I was also thinking of a Magnificent Foxface, but that's about $90. I believe the French is cheaper.
any suggestions?

sean48183

I believe french's are the biggest angel you can get. I've seen some in the wild that are absolutely huge. He would probably be alright for quite some time but may need a bigger tank somewhere down the road. Also I doubt that it will eat your cleaner.

alvin

Sounds good so far. I will be upgrading the Tank in a few years. So I doubt it will grow that big by then. Any other feedback?

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/2903758
Would a French Angel be good for my tank? I was also thinking of a Magnificent Foxface, but that's about $90. I believe the French is cheaper.
any suggestions?
Just trying to answer your question here....
No, a French Angel is not a good choice for a 110 gallon tank, a Magnificent would be a much better choice in a tank that size....IMO wait until you upgrade, don't get an inappropriate fish because it's cheaper.

saka bra

Finally a French angelfish post

-The Frenchy will most likely not eat your shrimp. Ive had mine for about a year and in that time i have had 5 different shrimps and he has never killed and he is a good hefty 7 inches. It may be harder to add shrimps when he is in the 7inches<_ range.
-I think the Frenchy would be ok in the 110gallon for about a year, depending if you have other fish that may challenge the Frenchy, then it may be a shorter time than that. But you would have to upgrade in the future.
-Frenchys are great fish, they are one of the most hardy of all of the angels, are relativley disease resistant, and love to eat. They are very active and always know what is going on inside "his" tank, in my opinion, they are one of the smartest fish.They have great coloration and if kept healthy in a larger tank, can live up to 15 years.

alvin

Ok, so if I decide to get it, what should my next tank size be? I also saw a blue throat trigger for $45. Looks nice also. But I remember seeing a Large French Angel, and it looked Awesome! I'll drop by tomorrow and see what they got in their new stock. But I definitely want an Angel fish now.
Thanks again for all the feedback. I will update this once I get updated

aquaknight

Yea, I would look for a different angel/fish. Honestly, I would have a issues with a French in anything less then a 240gal for an extended period.

alvin

Hmmmm.. As I was looking through SWF, I think what my LFS was actually a Black Angelfish. Maybe that is why it was only $50. On their label, it just said "Angel Tang $49". By the look, I thought it was a French, but I guess it might be a Black Angelfish. Anybody know if that would be ok in my setup?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by alvin
http:///forum/post/2904583
Hmmmm.. As I was looking through SWF, I think what my LFS was actually a Black Angelfish. Maybe that is why it was only $50. On their label, it just said "Angel Tang $49". By the look, I thought it was a French, but I guess it might be a Black Angelfish. Anybody know if that would be ok in my setup?
I am unsure why SWF refers to Pomacanthus arcuatus
as 'Black Angelfish,' but pretty much anywhere else they're referred to as Gray Angels.
Unforunately, just as poor of idea. They are virtually identical to a French angel, minus some coloration. They grow at the same rate and reach the same size. Many Gray's and French's share the same waters, and are found throughout the Carribean/Atlantic.

saka bra

if its a grey angel i wouldnt get it. its basically a frenchy, but instead of having black, gold, blue trim, and lusty grey like the french, its just black and grey.
Grey angelfish

petjunkie

Can't say I would put any large angelfish in a 110. That's just way too small, especially for something like a french which grow huge. Wait to stock a bigger tank when you have it.

alvin

Yah, it looks like I might just get some sort of a tang. Maybe a Blue Jaw Trigger as well? Still deciding. Thanks again for all your help!