French Angel - Need Help w/pics

bpc

Here is a picture of my French Angel. The top almost reminds me of a wart, but the rest of the forign objects look like small white patches. Can anyone help with a cure? I have quite a few other fish in the tank and none have any visable signs of stress or disease. The french is a new angel and only had a very small white mark when it arrived. It sat in coper at the LFS for about 4 days before I picked it up. It is eating like a pig and is the head of the tank. Please let me know if you need any more info.
Thank you.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That looks like it may be Lymphocyctis, but it is very difficult to tell with those pictures. Do you only see 2 spots? Are they irregular shape?

bpc

Sorry for the bad pictures. There are about 10 spots in all. I circled a few more for you and re-uploaded. They all seem to be irredular shapes. 3 of the spots almost look like ich, but that might be because they haven't had time to grow yet. They others are irregular shaped, textured, growth-like, white patches. I can try to get a better shot if you need me to. Is there hope for this guy? Thanks Beth.

scubadoo

Looks like lymph...but it is hard to tell If so it will usually go away on its own. It is a sign the fish is unhappy..yes a psych issue. Review your system..water parameters, diet, stress factors, etc in order to dertmine why this angel is unhappy.
Allow him to settle and it should go away...no meds required if lymph...just make the animal happy. Many large adult angels that are caught and placed in a small cube have more difficulty adapting then smaller adults and juveniles.
Monitor closely...and I assume your system is large enough with plenty live rock and hiding places to make him feel comfy.
Not uncommon for larger angels to get this if they have been recently caught.
JMO

bpc

They all seem to be irredular shapes. 3 of the spots almost look like ich, but that might be because they haven't had time to grow yet. They others are irregular shaped, textured, growth-like, white patches. I can try to get a better shot if you need me to. Is there hope for this guy? Thanks ScubaDoo and Beth.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What is the size. Ich is approximately the size of table salt to the size of the larger salt you see on those large pretzels.

bpc

They are all different sizes ranging from pretzel sized salt to large growths like you see in the picture. Most are located on the fins, but I do see one or two close to the gills. Do you want me to take a better picture? If so, I will read the manual on the camera (fiancé’s camera) tomorrow and figure it out.

scubadoo

Lymphocystis (virus); Glugea, Henneguya (sporozoans) Lymph. White clumpy or nodular growths, generally at base of fins. Improved water quality, possibly removal by hand

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think it is Lymphocystis, but, yes, if you can get some more pics, that may be helpful to get a positive ID. If it is Lymph, then that is a lot better news than ich.

tangmaster

b.bkI have a changing french that I have had for about a month. he has lymphocyst really bad.
He was fine when he came home but now he is covered. He became weak and started to be eaten alive by his tankmates. I was horrified. I moved him from the main 180 reef to a 55g fish only tank. He laid on the bottom of the tank barely breathing and feared dead.
I was devastated. The next morning when I turned the light on, fully expecting my 125 french to be gone to that big ocean in the sky. He greeted me as hungry as ever. Thes fish eat a lot!! He survived!!! He looks horrible with those huge, ugly growths on his pec fins. He seems happier in the 55 than he did in the 180. No physical sign of improving except that he is alive and acting like there is nothing wrong with him. Glad he can't see his reflection or he would faint. He is in the tank with a blue damsel and a diamond goby. He is the boss. These fish have to be dominant in the tank. They DO have PSYCHE problems when it comes to hierarchy in the system. He is dominant in the 55 where as in the 180, he had to take a back seat to an emporator and large sailfin, the MENENDEZ brothers. It is strange to witness these behaviors in a closed system. The more you learn about certain species, the better we are able to care for them properly at home.
They simply WILL not adjust and look perdy for us if we don't meet their environemtal needs. It can be done with a little ecducation on our part. My french will remain in the "hospital" as long as he is happy or until the emperator gets "paroled" to the big ocean in the sky. Angels should never be mixed anyway, but even THAT can be done with a large enough system. I thought I could do it in a 180. Even though there was plenty of room, the fish said NO WAY!!

bpc

The bumps have all seem to have disintegrated off of the angel. Now there seems to be a very light white film all over the body. I think he will be fine though. I'll get another picture up for reference if this problem ever occurs for anyone else.
Thank you for all your replies!
Ben