Fresh Start

thejdshow

This is my tank at 1 week. I am new to SWF but i have read through a wealth of knowledge. I am currently cycling my tank and it seems to be going as planned. Got 3 damsels in there to help jump start it. Have about 25 pounds of LR and 30 more on the way. I will be posting pics up week by week of progress and this is week one. Let me know whatcha think! Im also open to suggestions. I have a 55 gal tank and after the cycle I want to start off with 2 clownfish and an anemone. Any hints on what a good starting anemone is and a light setup would be greatly appreciated. I have read a lot of online content but I am unfimiliar with lighting. Please help in this area. Also what is a good clean up crew for a 55 gal tank. I go to my LFS for advice but they seem to want me to rush into alot of things... ( like telling me my tank would be cycled in a week or maybe less) so any help here I would greatly appreciate. Thanks

thejdshow

Close up of rocks... This shows a better color, as in the first photo the flash screwed the color of the tank up. It is nowhere near that light of a blue. Also feel free to show me your tank setups. I love new ideas. Im planning on having rock desending from both corners to leave a little open sand in the mid. But if something better catches my eye This idea could surly change. And if you would like to email me.. please use this email stunna415@hotmail.com

T

tizzo

Is that a real "aquarium stand"? I've never seen one like that...:notsure:

thejdshow

ya it is, it has alot of supports in the middle that you cant really see, No place for a sump though =/ ... any ideas on where a good place to put one? Thx

fishy411

Anemones need EXTREMELY high lighting an a tank that has been established at LEAST a year.THey have dismal rates of survival in the home aquarium DOnt worry though if u r as addicted as teh rest of us you will probly have a 300 gallon tank with like 5 anemones by next year. Try looking at Sarcophytons. It is a type of LEather coral that closely resembles an anemone and doesnt require as much light.

hopkins6

good job, my advice is to have patience, if your fish die dont get frustrated. i killed like 5 fish (not on purpose) when i first started. yes anemones do need high light like about 4 watts per gallon or somethin. I have also heard wait at least 8 months before you get an anemone. clowns are awesome man, you should deffinately get one. one more thing, that fake coral lin their on the right, it will start getting algae on it and to make it look good you will have to take it out of the tank alot and clean it. i had some of those and i just got rid of them cause it was a pain having to take them out so much. good luck

hopkins6

my email is teazylax6@aol.com if you have any questions. keep us posted. and is that really a 55, cause i have 29 right now and i want to get a 55. when i do get my 55 which will probably be this summer, i am just going to have a hang on equipment, the people on this site that i have talked to said you don't really need a sump for a 55 unless you just want to hide the equipment, its up to you. :joy: here is my tomato or cinnoman clown (i'm not sure which one it is) my favorite fish in my tank. also when i get my 55 i am going to get an anemone also. just love em , here he is

thejdshow

Thanks for all the information. This site has already saved me from making so many mistakes that would have costed a lot of $$$, and im sure the great people on this site will continue to look out for my fish and my wallet =). Thanks again! :joy: P.S I am new, but I would definatly say thats a Cinnamon Clown. I could be wrong though.

thejdshow

My tak with about 20 lbs of LR added to it. I like the set up... When i first started i wouldn't of imagined spending so much money on rock lol!

thejdshow

Close up of rock addition. You cant really tell from the pictures, but the way I have it set up it really gives the tank the look of having a lot more depth then it actualy has. the right side comes forward as the left side goes back, also ive found if the sand is slightly higher in the back it adds to this illusion also. IMO at least.