Fresh Water bath or no???

brandoncena

my blue tang and corral beauty both have ick and im putting copper in my water but its not working that good so my pet store says i should give them a freshwater bath for like a min and a half good or bad idea???

shrimpi

did you try lowering the salinity instead? Garlic also works wonders as stated above. Blue tangs get ich alot- at least from what ive seen/read, figure out a way to take care of the issue with as little stress as possible. This will probably be a recurring issue. My lfs has a 300 gal with blue tangs that get ich all the time, the only thing the owner does to take care of it... is her cleaner shrimp. To each thier own, but sometimes less is more.

J

jesses89

i wouldnt buy from that LFS if i was you. She must of not quarantined the stuff she put in that 300.... ich has to be introduced into a system in order for it to be in your system.. just doesnt magically appear in the water.
id do the whole hyposalinity in a QT tank thing. and leave your main tank fishless for 4-6 weeks.

shrimpi

Although I agree with you completely,
I thought Brandons issue is occuring in the main tank- thats the reason I thought he/she will have to treat the problem in the main tank. Is this issue in a QT tank?
If you take the fish out and put them in Qt will the ich life cycle end? Or can they still live in the main tank? I thought you had to also treat the tank. But I dont know- never had an ich problem yet.
I was just simply trying to say that sometimes its better to avoid radical treatment- aka freshwater bath- if need be- due to the stress on the animal. I was using the LFS story as an example. "To each thier own" Not a reference.

shrimpi

Ok, just read another post that brandon made on this same issue, and he/she doesnt have a QT, so it is in the main tank. also, its seems that copper has already been used with ill effects on the fish :scared:
How are they reacting today?
Did you do a water change since the copper treatment?
Did you test the copper?

brandoncena

no i didnt test it i dont have a test kit and they are acting better they lost some of the ick they had and should i do a water change cause i didnt do it yet ??? and what is garlic and how much does it cost?

shrimpi

The garlic stuff is usally 'garlic guard' but any garlic supplement will do I think as they all serve the same function. heres the one from swf.com click here
Its the same thing I guess, read the description. If you havent done a water change in a while I would but not too much water. Maybe like 15%? Just my opinion. I think it would be a good idea to get some of that copper out and maybe get some of the ich out too. Do you feed any food that has garlic in it? Not that garlic is a 'cure' but it helps the fish stay healthier and its harder for them to get the ich. they also like the taste of garlic so it promotes a better appetite.
I feed a variety of frozen foods(mysis/silverside/clam/scallops/etc), and I offer them flake food Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic. (hope its ok to list that brand name) :thinking:

brandoncena

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
The garlic stuff is usally 'garlic guard' but any garlic supplement will do I think as they all serve the same function. heres the one from swf.com click here
Its the same thing I guess, read the description. If you havent done a water change in a while I would but not too much water. Maybe like 15%? Just my opinion. I think it would be a good idea to get some of that copper out and maybe get some of the ich out too. Do you feed any food that has garlic in it? Not that garlic is a 'cure' but it helps the fish stay healthier and its harder for them to get the ich. they also like the taste of garlic so it promotes a better appetite.
I feed a variety of frozen foods(mysis/silverside/clam/scallops/etc), and I offer them flake food Omega One Marine Flakes with Garlic. (hope its ok to list that brand name) :thinking:

i did a water change like 5 days ago u think i should do one now and i use omega one also

shrimpi

Yeah I think it should be ok to do another water change, you need to get some of that medication out of the water IMO. then test your water.

brandoncena

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
Yeah I think it should be ok to do another water change, you need to get some of that medication out of the water IMO. then test your water.

whats IMO ???? so after i get the medicine out what do u think the best way will be for me to kill all the ick in the tank and on the fish?

rstiles

move your question over to the Disease & Treatment board, did pet shop tell you to use copper in your main tank? if so I don't think snails or most all inverts will live.