Fresh WATER Dip

spnohio

I have a scopas tang in really bad shape from ich, can someone tell me how to do this? Is this effective, till I can get my QT tank running again?

snakeblitz33

freshwater dip is really the last thing you want to do. Set up a quarantine tank and dose him with copper. That's a quick fix. The other way is to hyposalinity the poor fella.
A freshwater dip will kill all of the ich parasites - you will see em' "pop" off. But, if you put him back in the tank, and he is already stressed out as much as he is, he will probably get it again and die.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2923825
freshwater dip is really the last thing you want to do. Set up a quarantine tank and dose him with copper. That's a quick fix. The other way is to hyposalinity the poor fella.
A freshwater dip will kill all of the ich parasites - you will see em' "pop" off. But, if you put him back in the tank, and he is already stressed out as much as he is, he will probably get it again and die.
The OP has a QT that he is getting running again. Copper does not work any quicker than hyposalinity does. You still have to wait for the parasites to drop off for the treatment to be effective, which can take a week or more.
To do a FW dip, match the PH and temp to the water that the fish is coming out of. Pull the fish out and add him into the FW. Watch him the entire time, which is three to five minutes. The fish will likely become dazed and may lay on it's side. The fish should be upright within a minute. If the fish starts freaking out, does not right itself, is gilling really rapidly, or is acting very abnormally, then pull him out early.