Fresh water puffer?

zero26

yo guys, was at the wally world today and they have spotted puffers there. It was in freshwater, but the label said 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gals of water. So I guess it isn't freshwater then. I was looking for something to start a small pico, but not SW fish because I am just starting out.
I guess with the suggested tablespoon amount it shouldn't be hard to keep those boys around huh?
Get this they had a glass cup full of what looked like coarse table salt in the middle of the aquarium.

jlm48

I had one in a saltwater tank for over 2 years, but from my understanding they are brackish and "go both ways" so to speak. I've seen them kept in fresh water and salt water. I also bought mine from the evil empire Wally World and slowly acclimated him to saltwater, then he was in my tank (over 2 years) until I moved and had to take the tank down. The person I gave the fish to put him in a salt water tank and he has been doing well (that was over a year ago). Not really sure if this is PC, just my experience.

ca161406

i have 2 in my tank that ive had for about a year.
they are high end brackish to marine, but go to FW steams to lay eggs.
the salt was FW aquarium salt, which is still stupid to put in with them
dont put them in a 3 gallon they are way to active and messy, get a 10 gal for 10 bucks new and get some indian dwarf puffers if you want a small FW puffer to start off with. either that or just commit and go SW

B

birkhoferfan15

You can also acclimate the Blackfin Sharks or Silver sharks to salt, I've seen them called both names. I had 2 in my 125 for about 2 yrs until I decided to take a break from the hobby for a couple of years. Has anyone else kept them before?

unleashed

not all brackish fish can tolerate full marine environment .. some species will breed in fw or live brackish as juv then move to full marine as adults.. to know which fish environment is best suited for each i suggest doing some massive research before purchasing any for major changes..what might do well for a short time may not do well permanently.

Originally Posted by BirkhoferFan15
http:///forum/post/3023608
You can also acclimate the Blackfin Sharks or Silver sharks to salt, I've seen them called both names. I had 2 in my 125 for about 2 yrs until I decided to take a break from the hobby for a couple of years. Has anyone else kept them before?
I acclimated one of those to salt at the ***** where I work, he is doing great, way better than the other poor saps they leave in freshwater

thebrohem

I have been able to acclimate a few different fish from brackish water to full marine. Silver or Colombian Sharks, 2 of them at the same time, 3 green spotted puffers, at different times, mollies at different times including 2 that bred, a freshwater moray eel (which i still have), and 2 different kinds of freshwater gobies at different times, one was a knight goby, and right now a striped sleeper goby. I think thats it, but im not totally sure. I have seen other brackish fish acclimated as well but not by me, and somehow, i have seen some full marine fish acclimated to brackish including a juvenile bamboo shark on youtube. Its amazing what fish can do.

thebrohem

To piggyback off of this post, that is basically the way to do or like stated doing water changes with the new water having small amounts of salt and little by little the salt content will get higher and higher. Depending on the size of the tank will depend on how long it takes, but around a month sounds good. Its a little risky but in theory whenever you acclimate a new fish to your established tank that is a little risky too. Some one once made fun of me for doing this, but that person thought i had only brackish fish in salt water with no full marine fish at all. I tried explaining that they were mixed but it didnt seem to work :p

mantisman51

Actually, that is a green spotted puffer. They are hatched in fresh, spend early life(6 months or so) in brackish and then go into the ocean. They are full marine fish as adults. My GSP's are what got me into SW tanks. There is a forum dedicated to puffers that helped me through it. The puffer that is brackish as an adult is figure 8 puffers. They are very messy eaters and 1 should not be kept in less than a 29g aquarium, as they will grow to 6-8".

ca161406

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/3026266
Actually, that is a green spotted puffer. They are hatched in fresh, spend early life(6 months or so) in brackish and then go into the ocean. They are full marine fish as adults. My GSP's are what got me into SW tanks. There is a forum dedicated to puffers that helped me through it. The puffer that is brackish as an adult is figure 8 puffers. They are very messy eaters and 1 should not be kept in less than a 29g aquarium, as they will grow to 6-8".
same thing with me. saved them from wally world, now they're happy in my aggressive reef 125.
i suggested the indian dwarf puffers to him because they stay less than an inch and are full FW