Fresh water tank conversion to FOWLR

plum70rt

My neibor has an eclipse fresh water tank, wants to convert to FOWLR SW will the eclipse filter be suffient? has anyone done this? its a 25 gallon , how much sand and LR do yo think is good for it? it has NO flouresents,

cb

I converted a 40g fresh water to a FOWLR and we used about 75 lbs of sand for a 3 1/2 inch sand bed and have about 45 to50 lbs of lr and still adding a little at a time for that size tank depending on how deep you want the sand they would probably need about 30 or 40lbs of sand and maybe 30 lbs of lr It is all preference really I would probably add a skimmer with the filter. the NO lights should be fine that is all we have and it works just fine.

beaslbob

Live Rock and live sand are not needed. I recommend a sand base but home depot play sand is good enough.
If the tank is already empty then set it up and let it run.
If it is already running and you have a sand base and no plastic decoration you could add a little salt at a time and it will eventurally be a salt tank.

jumpfrog

Plum, great question. I'm looking at the same thing in the near future. One of my nieces is giving up a fresh tank to me and I'm going to convert it to a puffer tank for my wife. My plan is to remove all the stuff in the tank and replace with salt features. You know, LR and some sand. I'm not sure it makes a difference what kind of sand. I plan to use the same filter and go from there. I figure the bacteria will die and multiply as appropriate for the environment.
Is there a specific question you had?

reefnut

I have a 40g eclipse that was originally a FW. I reused the bio-wheel and replaced the filter and treated it like any other SW tank. Now it is my fuge :). No more bio-wheel btw.
There are some issues with the eclipse that you may want to point out. Although I have been told there are retro fit units that fits the eclipse... they are difficult IMO to modify for HO skimmers & external overflows... and lighting on bigger tanks. Just a thought.

plum70rt

will the eclipse bio wheel filter be enough? do you think a skimmer is required? how much LR and LS for a 25 gallon?

leigh

if you use lr/ls the biowheel will be fine (and likely even unnecessary except for extra flow). i like having a skimmer but there will always be people going skimmerless...i'd suggest he use maybe 40 lbs ls (depending on the footprint of the tank, enough to give him a 4" dsb) 25-35 lbs lr, and a cheapo prizm skimmer. once thing you may also suggest to him, is if he's ever used medication in it, have him do a copper test. (is it an acrylic tank with no seams?) if it's glass copper could have leached into the silicone. obviously copper isn't a problem for a fowlr, but it's just good for him to know if there's copper in the system or not before he gets the urge to spend $50 (hypothetically speaking) on a clean up crew and has them wiped out from copper poisoning!
-leigh