freshwater baby turtles

civickid

I was at my fish store and they have these baby turtles about the size of a half dollar. Does anyone know anything about them. They were red eared sliders.

reef_magic

thats what my local ***** sells (there's always some dead ones)
they are fun to watch, but nturtles are way too much work. u have to clean the cage every day

birdy

Interesting, I think in most states it is illegal to sell turtles under I think 5" shells, as they pose a very large salmonella risk.
Ah but you live in Kentucky, bunch of hillbillies lol!

civickid

yea we get our water for our marine tank out of the creek in the back yard. Just poor it right in the tank work great. but anyways There are a bunch of stores that sell them in kentucky and ohio and they dont say anything about any of that. and no we dont use creek water :nope:

birdy

I was just joking around. I live in the midwest, people think we are all wheat farmers. Who live in trailer parks.
Red eared sliders are pretty comonly kept as pets. They would need a fairly large tank with a good filter (or changing the water frequently). They would need part land and part water, A nice basking spot and a varied diet. A google search on them would produce endless info.
They are very cute, but turtles notoriosly suffer from malnutrition in captivity.

civickid

i know you were joking that is what people think all the time and the we walk around barefoot all the time but its nothing like that

birdy

I have been to Kentucky (well driven through it) and I think it is beautiful all the horse farms.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by Birdy
Interesting, I think in most states it is illegal to sell turtles under I think 5" shells, as they pose a very large salmonella risk.
Ah but you live in Kentucky, bunch of hillbillies lol!

LOL, kentucky...
Thats what suprises me though, ***** being a large chain and all. Most privately owned petshops avoid the law by stating that they can only sell them to/for "teachers/educational purposes" without asking for validation.
Oh, turtle tanks are neat... but don't they always smell?

B

billb

I "think" a great majority of them come from Louisiana. We kept one in a shallow round dish/bowl with a little walkway to a rock in the middle for a few (3 at least) years when I was a kid. Had about 3/4 of an inch of water in it. Fed it some sort of dried bugs from a shaker. Cleaned his bowl out once a week (tap water).. Brushed him off with a soft toothbrush once a week (under running roomtemp tap water.. (he seemed to like that part) He never got big, but seemed to enjoy his time with us..
I see the large ones for sale up here in Maine now, I don't see the small ones anymore. If the small ones are available in your area I think they make a good starter pet, and if properly cared for they will last a while...
Billb

sheffboyrd

Those cute little red ear sliders turn out to grow to be HUGE. In fact once full grown they probably need their own room with a kiddie pool to swim around in and lots and lots of food and care. I wouldn't recommend it... but they are darn cute when they are that small. I almost got one because they were being sold at a street fair for a buck a piece :eek:

clint_reno

If there is one animal that gets the short end of the stick, it is the turtle. Both freshwater and marine versions have gone through hell at the hands of man.
I had a pet turtle as a teen. In retrospect, they are not meant as pets. The waste is too great. I am proud to say I released my friend into the wild. (Into a pond!)
I ask all fellow critter-lovers to avoid keeping turtles as pets. If you buy one, set them free. If you see one in the wild, and in trouble, help them.
Turtles are cool, and they need our help. As responsible marine aquarists, we should respect turtles of all varieties.
:yes:

ty_05_f

We had a turtle that we picked up on the side of the road and kept him in the backyard for years. He would show up every few months too bad we moved I wonder if he is still alive?

krishj39

Everyone is right about them being illegal under 5". However, they are still very commonly sold. They used to be called dime turtles because you could buy them for 10 cents all over the place. They are red-eared sliders, as has been said. I think they make great pets. The problem is that they are often treated with the same level of respect as the carnival goldfish, and they require more care than that. The one I have now has been with me for 10 years, I bought it when it was JUST 5". She is about 9" now and as fiesty as ever. She has always been extremely healthy, though she has caught a cold a few times over the years. She is an EXTREMELY curious animal and a total blast to keep as an aquarium pet. You can buy food for them called Repto-Min which is good. Mine will eat just about anything though. It is a good idea to supliment with vegetation and such. Water changes will need to be done with some frequency as they do produce a lot of waste. However, from personal experience, even with a lot of neglect, it still takes a long time to smell. As usual, I seem to be an exception to the rule. It's been been about 1.5 months since I changed the water in her tank and the water is still completely clear and clean. Anyway, I do recommend them as pets.

krishj39

Here she is, Teetoo, about 13 years old now. They commonly live to be 25 and have been known to exceed 50 years old.

krowleey

i had one for 6 years. awesome pet and mine didnt smell at all. he sure loved to eat fish, and even ate a freshwater crab for the rock spot in the tank

microman2k

we bought some at the beach, one died when it ate some bad bread, but the other one is still alive after a couple of years, we bought them at the size of a quarter, they were so cute! and they survived the 8 hour drive home! i just got done cleaning out his tank today, ours has never smelled at all, and he hasnt grown much at all, still very small, alittle smaller than the palm of your hand, i think its funny too when they hibernate in the winter too.:yes:

barry cuda

We have two red-eared sliders. They're very young, about the size of a silver dollar. Right now they live in a 10-gal (I know, WAY too small) with a floating "dock" for basking, but will be getting a 100-gal upgrade in the next few months. We had some odor from the tank at first, but once it cycled and stabilized, this disappeared.
Turtles definitely have some unique requirements. It's unfortunate, but about 90% die from neglect or owner ignorance in their first year. They're very messy eaters and produce a great deal of waste, so they do necessitate regular water changes and periodic cleaning of the enclosure. Feeding in a separate container also helps. They also require a heater and basking lamp to maintain the water and air temperature. A common cause of pet turtle death is keeping their enclosure at room temp, which tends to be too low to stimulate feeding but too high to permit hibernation, and they waste away.
Turtles very commonly carry salmonella so precautions have to be taken after handling them or working in the enclosure. I've uncovered a few different takes on the story when researching them, but what I believe to be true is that the 5" requirement stems from several deaths in the 1960's that occurred after young children put the turtles in their mouths and contracted salmonellosis. Nutrition can be challenging as well, but there are a few high-quality turtle preparations on the market and the right fresh foods work equally well or better. Ours do very well on Tetra floating food sticks supplemented with betta flakes to help them maintain their color. Their nutritional needs change as they move into adulthood, so we'll have to modify their diets to reflect this.
They're very active, curious creatures. They always come over to investigate if someone approaches the enclosure. We've also noted definite personality differences between the two. All in all we've found them to be pretty interesting pets, if not something you can just stick in a tank and feed once in a while.

clint_reno

Now as i review my previous post, and the detailed posts that followed, i recognize that turtles are great pets. It basically depends on the owner, and how much she/he is willing to put into the care of the pet.
Much of my reluctance is rooted in what I have witnessed. Most people do not understand the needs of these reptiles. I have seen unfortunate suffering.
But for the dedicated turtle keepers, I salute!