freshwater cycle?

frozenguy

hi all-
i'm setting up a small 5-10 gallon freshwater tank for my mom...she really wants some frogs and shrimp...she doesn't know about it though...would one of those small eclipse tanks be okay?
also, do freshwater tanks go through a cycle? how long do they cycle for?it is just going to be frogs and shrimp...like 3 frogs and maybe 4 shrimp...

ophiura

Yes, they do cycle. This should be fairly evident. There still needs to be a nitrogen cycle in the tank- the establishment of the bacteria that convert these various compounds, or ammonia would build up in it too.
An eclipse tank would be fine, though I believe many of those frogs get quite large, and will happily eat the shrimp, in addition to many small fish.

dindi

I agree with ace, no...also this is a saltwater board in case you didn't notice. While we could answer fresh questions it is better to go there in a nice freshwater board to ask questions. IMO. If you set up a nice nano sw with your lovely eclipse then we can talk:D Good luck:D

ophiura

I don't see a real problem with a simple question like this, though a OT in front may be better. Going into any more detail is a no go, but a single thread is not a huge thing. So, frozenguy, inquire about stocking it on a freshwater board ;)
The reason it is somewhat OK is that we are dealing with the same issue in cycling. I maintain freshwater tanks, just like saltwater tanks, cycle.
Empty tank. Gravel. Filter. Water. Decor.
Put in fish.
Fish produce waste (ammonia).
Where is the bacteria to break it down in a new tank? It needs to grow, just like in saltwater. There are things that can be added to help (eg Cycle), but it will still happen. Not as hard as a saltwater tank (in part because the fish are tougher and cheaper). But I have seen many many fish die in new freshwater tanks because they are overstocked from the start and they die from ammonia...just like those little damsels do in a salt tank. A freshwater cycle tends to take about 3-4 weeks in some cases.
We are talking about the same thing biologically. Both systems require bacteria to grow to break down the ammonia produced by the fish. It is converted to nitrite, and then to nitrate. In freshwater systems, nitrate is removed through water changes, in most cases. But the same principle is involved, irrespective of salt concentration.

Freshwater tanks need to cycle just like saltwater. Ammonia is ammonia is ammonia, regardless of whether the tank is marine or not. And a lot of it is just as harmful to FW fish as SW... well maybe not just as... when I had FW, the little buggers were pretty rugged... but not immune....:)
TG4F

jtroutine

Hey I agree there is nothing wrong with fw I have a 29gal and I love my little fw fishys. But anyway yes it cycles very simillar to sw.
There is a post about parental teaching that has like 30 replys so whats wrong with a litlle fw question

timo

I've fresh-watered for 15 years. H20 changes from the tap, 50% water changes, full tank meds...FW has tough fish. The only fish that died were small tetras that my catfish ate. He was over 9yo when I moved away to college and mother euthanised it. Don't pay too much mind to the pure science taught here for FW. Hype.
Even for the small tanks. I'm sure that FW does indeed cycle, but don't let that mess with you.
IMO. HTH
Tim:p

acez28

maybe they do cycle...... I have been keeping FW tanks for about 15 years. I have 3 plecos that are about 9yo. I guess if they do cycle it just doesnt kill the fish. I dunno but i wouldnt worry about it......

frozenguy

um...dindi, i have a 25 gallon reef....like i said, i'm setting it up for my mom...i'm sorry if i have offended you...anyways, thanks guys! my question was answered perfectly....thanks again!

ophiura

Freshwater tanks required as much patience, IMO, as saltwater...the problem is that the fish are cheaper, and therefore, more expendable in the minds of many. If you pack your tank full of fish right at the start, many will die because the tank is not yet cycled.
Freshwater fish most certainly do die in a cycle, but some are tougher than others. Plecos, for example, are pretty darn tough. Throw a bunch of discus in the tank, or cardinal tetras or something, and they will die quite well for you, if you want a demonstration.

acez28

well i never had Discus.....Only Plecos, a few oscars, a few Jack Dempseys, a few convicts, And one Red Devil from hell that i had to get rid of.