Freshwater dip?

crooper

Do only fish need a freshwater dip? What about inverts? How long does the dip need to be? I assume it should be distilled or RO water right?
Is a tank considered a FOWLR if I have a invert cleaning crew and no corals?

mack

why are you doing the freash water dip if it is for ich inverts do not get ich as far as i know

tim_12

You dip fish in freshwater to kill off any parasites that may be on them. Parasites are inverts. I think it would be safe to say you should definatly not put your inverts in fresh water, for any reason.

vanos

Inverts don't have scales like fish and do not get ick. Do not put inverts in a freshwater dip.

n0rthstar

I'm pretty sure it can't just be water... it needs to have a similar ph and temp as your QT or main tank. And you're only supposed to leave them in there for like 3 mins... at least from what I've read... *noob* Don't take my word for it..

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by n0rthstar
I'm pretty sure it can't just be water... it needs to have a similar ph and temp as your QT or main tank. And you're only supposed to leave them in there for like 3 mins... at least from what I've read... *noob* Don't take my word for it..
All you have to do is use a bag (the bag you get fish from at the LFS), fill with fresh water, tap would be fine, but dechlorinate it. Set the bag in your tank for about 2 hours, I prefer using luke warm water instead of cold. Then take the bag out and pour the water into a fish bowl, make sure there's enough water for the fish to be submerged (so maybe put water in the bowl first before placing into the bag). Then put the fish into the bowl for no more then 5 min then dip it back out and release back into your tank. When treating for parasites, drip meds into the bag and mix it well then pour into the bowl. IMO, I wouldn't dip inverts... :happyfish

n0rthstar

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
All you have to do is use a bag (the bag you get fish from at the LFS), fill with fresh water, tap would be fine, but dechlorinate it. Set the bag in your tank for about 2 hours, I prefer using luke warm water instead of cold. Then take the bag out and pour the water into a fish bowl, make sure there's enough water for the fish to be submerged (so maybe put water in the bowl first before placing into the bag). Then put the fish into the bowl for no more then 5 min then dip it back out and release back into your tank. When treating for parasites, drip meds into the bag and mix it well then pour into the bowl. IMO, I wouldn't dip inverts... :happyfish
Thats a good idea.. you could let the water bag soak while you were dip acclimating the fish in another bag...

mikeyjer

Thats a good idea.. you could let the water bag soak while you were dip acclimating the fish in another bag...
I have done just the bag before, but certain fish tend to poke the bag. Especially when your treating with meds. Especially if you DON'T want the meds to mess up your tank. Then it is best to use a bowl to do the dip. :happyfish

n0rthstar

I have done just the bag before, but certain fish tend to poke the bag. Especially when your treating with meds. Especially if you DON'T want the meds to mess up your tank. Then it is best to use a bowl to do the dip. :happyfish

No, you misunderstand me. I meant to let the bag full of the freshwater only sit in the tank while you were drip acclimating the fish in a seperate bucket. Then, to do what you said and pour the freshwater in a bowl and put the fish in with it.

mikeyjer

No, you misunderstand me. I meant to let the bag full of the freshwater only sit in the tank while you were drip acclimating the fish in a seperate bucket. Then, to do what you said and pour the freshwater in a bowl and put the fish in with it.
You can, but IMO I wouldn't! You just brought the fish home and they're stress enough as it is to adjust to your water and you give them fresh water dip to put them in futher stress. But it has been done before. I would just put the fish in QT tank for a month to check on progress and do freshwater dip if they needed it. :happyfish

scubadoo

The ph of the freshwater and the temp must match the system temp and ph. You cannot simply drop a fish in freshwater without making sure the ph and temp matches.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
The ph of the freshwater and the temp must match the system temp and ph. You cannot simply drop a fish in freshwater without making sure the ph and temp matches.
No it does not have to have the same PH, we already discuss about the temp acclimation process. I was wondering about the PH at first before I did the process, but I was told by a very good friend of mine who had saltwater fish for years and who also used to run a LFS. He and some others told me the samething. You do not have to have the same PH. I've done this process more then once to get rid of parasites and I haven't had a problem. The fish is only in the bag for less then 5 min (Max.) :happyfish

promisetbg

Do not dip fish in FW !!!!!It is too much stress and does no good for ich.A few may die,but you will only stress the fish further which will remove the rest of his slime coat,and make him more susceptible to the ich parasite.The ich has a life cycle,which includes being visibly on the fish,embedded in the fish,and also where they are off the fish,living in the substrate...reproducing and when it comes back it does so much worse than the first assault.
If this is to treat ich that you see,then you should be doing hypo-salinity treatment in a QT tank.I can explain this fully if you need to know.
If this is preventative,then just QT the fish and observe him for a couple weeks.
Never put inverts in FW,they will die.
FOWLR means you have fish,inverts,liverock,and no corals.

scubadoo

No it does not have to have the same PH, we already discuss about the temp acclimation process. I was wondering about the PH at first before I did the process, but I was told by a very good friend of mine who had saltwater fish for years and who also used to run a LFS. He and some others told me the samething. You do not have to have the same PH. I've done this process more then once to get rid of parasites and I haven't had a problem. The fish is only in the bag for less then 5 min (Max.) :happyfish

Sorry to say but you are worng. When conducting a PROPER freshwater dip, the PH MUST match the system PH. I suggest you do some research on how to conduct an appropriate freshwater dip.

scubadoo

An atricle form Bob Fenner's Website...recognize the name. Only posting this so hobbyists that wish to perform fresh water dipps do it CORRECTLY......
I highly recommend performing a freshwater dip on each fish before being placed in the treatment tank. The freshwater should be properly buffered and heated to the same temperature as the tank that your fishes have been residing in. Use of a non-toxic anti-bacterial agent, such as Methylene Blue, is encouraged during the dip. Use enough Methylene Blue to color the water a deep blue. The duration of the dip should be from 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the tolerance of the individual fish(es) being dipped. Keep a close eye on the fish during the dip process, and be prepared to remove them to the treatment tank quickly, should they show extreme distress during this process. The freshwater dip is a standard part of the acclimation and quarantine process at most public aquariums throughout the world, and is an effective procedure that can reduce or eliminate many external parasites, including Cryptocaryon. The reason that freshwater dips are so successful is that the parasites simply cannot make the osmotic "stretch" to freshwater as well as the fish can.
Buffered =PH...proper=same PH as system
It is up to the hobbyist if they believe these dips are benificial...but please do them appropriately if you decide to dip.

danedodger

Hmmm that's the first time I heard someone claim that dips don't help with ich. I've used freshwater dips on saltwater fish and salt dips on freshwater fish with good results.

scubadoo

Some hobbyists beleive the benefit of a freshwater dip is limited if you are going to place the animal back in the diseased system. Nothing wrong with appropriately adminsitered freshwater dips...but it must be done correctly with temp and ph matchng system. Yes, it will kill the parsites.
Many folks fear a freshwater dip because they beleive it will be harmful to marine animals. Certainly, it will add to any stress the animal is under, which is why the ph and temp must match. If the fish is acclmated to a ph of 8.2 removing the fish and placing them in a ph of say 7.6 will certainly increase stress...it's logical.
IMO...freshwater dips should not be viewed as a cure for ich once a system is exposed to the disease.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
An atricle form Bob Fenner's Website...recognize the name. Only posting this so hobbyists that wish to perform fresh water dipps do it CORRECTLY......
I highly recommend performing a freshwater dip on each fish before being placed in the treatment tank. The freshwater should be properly buffered and heated to the same temperature as the tank that your fishes have been residing in. Use of a non-toxic anti-bacterial agent, such as Methylene Blue, is encouraged during the dip. Use enough Methylene Blue to color the water a deep blue. The duration of the dip should be from 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the tolerance of the individual fish(es) being dipped. Keep a close eye on the fish during the dip process, and be prepared to remove them to the treatment tank quickly, should they show extreme distress during this process. The freshwater dip is a standard part of the acclimation and quarantine process at most public aquariums throughout the world, and is an effective procedure that can reduce or eliminate many external parasites, including Cryptocaryon. The reason that freshwater dips are so successful is that the parasites simply cannot make the osmotic "stretch" to freshwater as well as the fish can.
Buffered =PH...proper=same PH as system
It is up to the hobbyist if they believe these dips are benificial...but please do them appropriately if you decide to dip.
I don't totally disagree with what your saying, but you can't say I'm wrong. Each individual have their own preference and ways of doing something that works for them. If one thing works for me, it doesn't mean it works for you, vise versa. I HAVE done the freshwater dip before and I NEVER buffer my water. Like I've said before, temp should be acclimated if you go back to the top and read what I said from the beginning, never disagree with that statement what so ever. I only do the dip to treat external parasite, never use it to treat ich. I have heard it works from some people, but never tried it myself. I always use garlic guard when treating ich and it works for me. The thing I want to ask you is HAVE you done freshwater dip before? It doesn't make you an expert by just reading it, I'm no expert either, but I HAVE done it. Serveral other people on this site HAVE used my methods and it works for them cause I've mentioned this once before. I have done research on it matter of fact, but like I've said numerous times before, this works for me and I'm sticking to it. Once you've done it and find something else different from what I've said then come back to me with the new information, until then, you can no just say I'm wrong. You can THINK I'm wrong, but you can't say I am wrong!!!!

scubadoo

I don't totally disagree with what your saying, but you can't say I'm wrong. Each individual have their own preference and ways of doing something that works for them. If one thing works for me, it doesn't mean it works for you, vise versa. I HAVE done the freshwater dip before and I NEVER buffer my water. Like I've said before, temp should be acclimated if you go back to the top and read what I said from the beginning, never disagree with that statement what so ever. I only do the dip to treat external parasite, never use it to treat ich. I have heard it works from some people, but never tried it myself. I always use garlic guard when treating ich and it works for me. The thing I want to ask you is HAVE you done freshwater dip before? It doesn't make you an expert by just reading it, I'm no expert either, but I HAVE done it. Serveral other people on this site HAVE used my methods and it works for them cause I've mentioned this once before. I have done research on it matter of fact, but like I've said numerous times before, this works for me and I'm sticking to it. Once you've done it and find something else different from what I've said then come back to me with the new information, until then, you can no just say I'm wrong. You can THINK I'm wrong, but you can't say I am wrong!!!!

I have been in the hobby for 30 plus years. yes, I have done freshwater dips and the PH must match the acclimated/sytem PH. WHat you are trying to do by matching the PH is minimize stress.
I did not say you were wrong regarding fresh water dips in general...but you are wrong regarding the PH not needing to match the acclimated PH.
What I am posting here regarding the PH matching the system PH is mainstream...not some off the wall advice.
What I have posted is based on years of experience plus years of reading articles. If you think I am wrong regarding the PH matching...please bring something regarding documeted research to the contrary...and I will glady listen.
The goal here is to simply communicate the appropriate methods for a freshwater dips. many folks read these threads and it would be irresponsible not to post the appropriate way to conduct a freshwater dip.
Nothing wrong in alternative views...but what I have posted is mainstream and logical to this hobby.
Since you hace questioned my experinece...please post the number of years you have been in the hobby.
I am simply trying to prevent others from making mistakes. it is logical that a matching PH will help to minimize stress reagarding a dip.....it should be an easy concept to grasp. It increases the odds for success.
I consider my opinions informned based on years of experience, years of reading and all the misakes I have made.
it is up to those that read these threads to determine posts that appear to be informed and are logical.
I do not consider myself to be an expert...but I do consider myself and advanced hobbyists. Folks can either take advantage of the mistakes I have made...verify what I have said through thier own research...or simply ignore the post.
Just my opinion......but it is informed.