Freshwater Rocks in Saltwater

stranglehold

I have many lbs of "honeycomb reef rock in a ciclid tank that I am going to convert to a reef tank. There are many excellent pieces of rock in this tank that I would like to incoporate as base rock in the new tank.
I have never used rock that was this established in freshwater (over 10 years) in a reef tank.
Should I do anything to it other than putting it in salt water?
Should it be in SW and isolated for a while and then put in the tank/sump, or should I just power wash them and go?
Tank will be 55 gal with 29 gal sump.
The tank has not been medicated in over 8 years. Boiling has been suggested.
Any comments

S

sebae0

if its lava rock dont use it because of heavy metals in it, and if you ever treated your fw tank with copper i wouldnt use it because it will leach it back into your sw.

stranglehold

I do have 2 or 3 small peices of copper telephone wire holding Java Fern onto the rocks.
What are the chances of this effecting things in my size system?

saltyshark

I medicated my 55 with cupramine when it was FO about 3 years ago (I didn't know any better) and from what I tell, it is not having any ill effects on the inhabitants.Fill your tank up with water ,if not filled already, and get yourself a copper test kit. If everything checks out, I wouldn't be worried.
HTH
SaltyShark

stranglehold

I hear you on the copper - I had always had it in the back of my mind. But right now, the Rocks are still in the freshwater tank. I will remove the copper in the morning. Should have used zip-ties anyway.
I should probably test the freswater for copper and modify my decision accordingly.
Any input on a Dry-Tab Copper kit that would read inorganic and organic copper?