Freshwater Stingrays????

ryebread

Hello all,
I was at my LFS today and they had a 180 gallon FRESHWATER tank with 4 stingrays in it. I have not seen this before. Are there really freshwater rays or are they putting saltwater rays in fresh tanks?

jim27

Yes freshwater rays exist and those are probably them(I don't theink an lfs would make THAT big of a mistake).

mpgt

They're from South America. I have a book that says they're one of the most feared things in Amazon water. The water is not very clear. When stepped on, they inflict a very painful gash. Besides the poison/protien from the ray, the wound is likely to get severely infected from the water and other environmental factors without medical treatment.
I had one once. They're very sensitive to copper. Don't ever feed one shrimp which have been kept in a copper medicated tank.

i useto have them up north , they can be very tame to the point i useto petthem and feed them by hand , i want to have them down herein fl but there areonly i think 2typesallowedin florida

I

irenicus

What size tanks to FW StingRays need? What do they usually cost?

gibbus

It depends on the species. Some freshwater rays are difficult at best to keep. This include the tiger rays,china ray and a couple others. The motoro is the best species to keep for a first time ray keeper.

well the way it works is the nicer they look the more you pay ,i had a pair of them in a 55 gallon but they were small so than i got a 90 gallon tank and added a arrowanna and some discus , fresh water rays are nice but they suffer from skin conditons so be careful but they aren,t that bad to care for , but never keep them with aggressive fish ,or angel fish they like to nip on them

tijil

The freshwater stingrays come from the Amazon river, in South America, as previously stated. As it turns out, the river was recently (geologically speaking) a saltwater river that ran from the Atlantic to the Pacific. However, as the Andes rose, the river's coarse shifted, making it run east, into the Atlantic. Of course this made the river freshwater, but happened very gradually, allowing the marine creatures to adapt. Many neat little creatures stemmed from that change, like the stingrays and the giant piracu.

I

irenicus

I may have to looking into getting one. What's the minimum tank size for the hardier of species?

sharkcowboy

I personally would look into the local laws. Freshwater stingrays are illegal in most states because of the poisonous sting they possess and because they could possibly inhabit our waters in released, much like the problem with the Snakeheads. I could easily pick one up in Canada, but I believe they are illegal in North Dakota.

and in florida there are some you can buy but the are not that nice and cost about 75 bucks , when i was up north i use to get any ones i wanted