Freshwater to Saltwater

sjgsm

LOL, my arowana is a very friendly fish, I feed it raw shrimp with my bare hands.... Every once in a while he accidentally nips my finger but you can actually pet/stroke the fish without a problem... Thats my 100g tank but i have a 35g that im waiting to get some good suggestions until i decide to set equipment to set it up.
So if any of you know,I am open for suggestions and tips

pyro

That arowana will most likely outgrow your 100g. I don't know how quickly they grow after their initail growth, but they will grow up to 4 feet supposedly. They also will jump out of the water for food - in nature they jump out of the water and eat bats.
I've only heard of one really suitable aquarium for one that isn't at a zoo or anything - and that was off a guy on a digital photography forum
fish looks really great though!

sjgsm

Indeed he will outgrow that tank thing is i am building my own tank out of thick oak wood 2inches thick lined in about a halfinch of fiberglass with an underground filter that i have begun to make. it is about 10ftx5ftx8ft and has a a piece of glass on the front that is about 7ft by 4 ft that is about 2 inches thick.It is resting on a custom stand of several 4x8 pieces that i have cut and bolted aswell as fiberglassed in place,with beams layered underneath the tank to support all the weight. i will show you pictures of the tank just got to go take them

T

tizzo

HOLY COW!!! Is that thing worth a fortune or do you know?? I had one once, a baby and he only lived a week. Don't know what they need that I didn't provide but I hated to see him go. They look like dragons from the top. Can you post a pic taken from the top?

sjgsm

I will need a new camera to take the picture it is dark in the room and my flash has gone will have some pictures posted by next week. Thing is moving the fish will be fairly difficult...small holes in the 100g to get him out of.... but i will figure it out when the other tank is set up

T

tizzo

Yeah, no kiddin'!! Back when I got mine there was a fish breeder in the store same time as me, he told me that they are very valuable. He said he buys them small and when they get bigger he sells them for about 2 or 3 grand. The LFS around here never have them but that day they did and they were only asking 12 bucks. Maybe the valuable ones are some rare breed that are nothing like yours but I'd look into it if I were you then post it on e bay. Or get a bigger tank and breed them.:D

sjgsm

mine costed $90 with the egg pouch still attached to its stomach... it was about a half inch long...BRAND NEW BABY...

sjgsm

now i know mine is an australian straight from the southern tip of australia but i dont know how many differant breeds of aust. that there are...so i'm not for sure...but mine costed quite a bit... my most expensive fish

T

tizzo

Aaaawwwe, we need baby pics!! How in the world could someone pay 90 bucks for a fish. Or rather a "freshwater" fish. Only kidding. You must be good and confident in this hobby. half inch huh? So, he's like a family pet?? How long have you had him?

sjgsm

i've had my baby 4 years or so ago... i dont quite remember when i got him...I remember that the 35 gallon i want to turn into a saltwater tank was his first home other than the lfs... Now freshwater to me is basically a way of life
but now my brother got me into saltwater...remember im only 16 and have been into fish since like 8 lol... but yeah i always made a steady pay from mowing lawns and such which lead to what I have now... but my dad was the main reason i got the fish due to his suggestion and refrence. by the way...his name is Aussie :) but asfar as the rest of my freshwater i breed a 4 oscars (super red,red,tiger,and albino) which i have many babys... but my 35g was taken down after my 3 clown knife fish (Golden Clown Knife,Royal Clown Knife Fish,and just a Regular Clown Knife) got too big for my tank....I just got rid of them... Now my investment in Fish has probably been well over $5k since i was 8... but well worth it... I also used to breed African Chiclids.... Now i wanted to move on to saltwater and I want to be able to breed my favorite clown... A Gold Stripe Maroon... So any tips would be appreciated aswell

sjgsm

my frist post was a little on what equipment i would need cuz i wanted such stuff as the GSM clowns,so i wanted to know what anenomies are best and then i also wanted to know what coral go good together cuz i like such coral as frogspawn,hammer,mushroom,and things but im not upto whats compatable...so i wanted to know what equipment would be good for that stuff aswell... such as lighting,and filtration....(dont know how to build a sump/fuge and dont have the most cash)and so on.. i put up a almost useless picture of the tank as of what it was like 4 weeks ago...before it was torn down.... but if i ever got the right designs for a sump i have a cabinet under the tank that would easily hold a 10g tank as a sump/fuge