Freshwater to Saltwater

marinemarty

Hi All, I had a reef tank with a DSB and LR. Make a long story short I had a major blackout in the area and lost everything so I switched to freshwater. I took most of the DSB and LR out but did leave a couple of big pieces of LR in the freshwater setup. Question is that I have to move and want to get back to saltwater. Can I use this rock as my base layer and get more quality LR for the display? Basically will this LR come back to life in the new saltwater setup. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

flower

Originally Posted by MarineMarty
http:///forum/post/3103721
Hi All, I had a reef tank with a DSB and LR. Make a long story short I had a major blackout in the area and lost everything so I switched to freshwater. I took most of the DSB and LR out but did leave a couple of big pieces of LR in the freshwater setup. Question is that I have to move and want to get back to saltwater. Can I use this rock as my base layer and get more quality LR for the display? Basically will this LR come back to life in the new saltwater setup. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

The answer is yes, to all of the above...As a rule, anything used in a saltwater tank can't be used in a fresh. I am surprised you kept any of the old set up in the new freshwater, without trouble...

V

vince-1961

A rock is a rock, does not matter whether it's man-made and totally sterile when you unwrap it, whether it's been sitting on a misted shelf or whether it's fresh out of the ocean. In time, all of it will be the same. The procedures and timeframes (cycling requirements) are different if the rock is sterile or has a lot of dead or dying biomass, or has a bunch of live critters, that's all. What matters to the proper functioning of the rock in your aquarium's ecosystem is the porosity of the rock. The more porous, the more surface to be colonized by bacteria and the more effective the rock is at cleaning your water.
Any object you put in the aquarium will be colonized by bacteria, so go ahead and use what you've got.

flower

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/3103766
A rock is a rock, does not matter whether it's man-made and totally sterile when you unwrap it, whether it's been sitting on a misted shelf or whether it's fresh out of the ocean. In time, all of it will be the same. The procedures and timeframes (cycling requirements) are different if the rock is sterile or has a lot of dead or dying biomass, or has a bunch of live critters, that's all. What matters to the proper functioning of the rock in your aquarium's ecosystem is the porosity of the rock. The more porous, the more surface to be colonized by bacteria and the more effective the rock is at cleaning your water.
Any object you put in the aquarium will be colonized by bacteria, so go ahead and use what you've got.
Umm...isn't that what I just said??? Next time save yourself allot of typing and just add (+1) That way you express you agree with the post...I only mentioned the rock he once had in saltwater..he used in freshwater..that is something I would not have done. But any rock used in fresh can be used in salt except those with trace metals..like slate for example.

salt life

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3103784
Umm...isn't that what I just said??? Next time save yourself allot of typing and just add (+1) That way you express you agree with the post...I only mentioned the rock he once had in saltwater..he used in freshwater..that is something I would not have done. But any rock used in fresh can be used in salt except those with trace metals..like slate for example.
+1 !

V

vince-1961

All true. Avoid lava rock in saltwater too. (Besides I'm sitting at my desk at my office trying to avoid work ...... actually more like procrastinating as the next thing on my to do list is a major drag!)

flower

Originally Posted by vince-1961
http:///forum/post/3103838
All true. Avoid lava rock in saltwater too. (Besides I'm sitting at my desk at my office trying to avoid work ...... actually more like procrastinating as the next thing on my to do list is a major drag!)
I wish I had use of a computer at work...I do however have a bed in my van for naps...LOL...I don't tell the boss what I do when my work is done...

jp30338

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3103784

Dont forget, "flower" is now the saltwater "expert" and nobody else can have a say in posts anymore....

marinemarty

Thanks all, Yeah I was surprised that the rocks diud not do any damage to my freshwater setup but it's been stable for years with no loss of livestock. Good I must have around 50 pounds of rock then

deejeff442

i'm #3
just kiddin.
funny my neighbor is an expert when it comes to freshwater he breeds them all the time i gave him my 150 tank set up when i got my 225 and his tank dont have a square inch of algea anywhere.
i have never had a freshwater tank went right to salt .funny when we talk about out tanks neither of us have a clue what the other is talking about.

flower

Originally Posted by deejeff442
http:///forum/post/3104189
i'm #3
just kiddin.
funny my neighbor is an expert when it comes to freshwater he breeds them all the time i gave him my 150 tank set up when i got my 225 and his tank dont have a square inch of algea anywhere.
i have never had a freshwater tank went right to salt .funny when we talk about out tanks neither of us have a clue what the other is talking about.

Since your kidding...
I went from fresh to saltwater...it is a whole different world. Almost nothing from freshwater experiance helped in saltwater except knowledge of the filter.