Friday Night 12 Pack - 72gl Bow

cats eye

Beautiful!! What kind of lights are u using, I have 50/50 and am in the process of saving up for some good lights. Any suggestions. What are the best possible lights that you could get for a 75 gallon tank? Oh yeah, and what size tank is that? Just curious.

mopar9012

Originally Posted by Cats Eye
Beautiful!! What kind of lights are u using, I have 50/50 and am in the process of saving up for some good lights. Any suggestions. What are the best possible lights that you could get for a 75 gallon tank? Oh yeah, and what size tank is that? Just curious.
72 gal bow

db

I have an Aqua Medic Oceanlight T5/MH combo. I've have two 39w T5 actinics and 2x250w DE Phoenix 14K bulbs running on an HQI M80 ballast. The pictures always come out more blue than what the tank really looks like. The Phoenix bulbs burn crips white with some blue on HQI ballast. These lighting setup might be a little much unless you are interested in setting up an SPS tank. It sounds like you may have softies and lps right now. Some soft corals like ricordeas and zoas do good under this set up but you need to keep them down low. You might want to look at 2x150's if you want something with a little less punch.

my way

That without a doubt is THE coolest reef tank I've seen to date. It's like a psycadelic christmas tree farm.

lmlwsp

DB, I would love to see some pics of your set up. I just got a 72 bow front. Just wonderin what all you got under that tank. Thanks.

db

Nothing fancy really. I have a 20gl long sump, ASM G1-x skimmer. I have a mag 9.5 for a return, and a few powerheads: 2xSeio 820's and 2xMaxi Jet 1200's with the tips cut off for a more spread out flow. I dose Ocean's Blend 2 part daily and Drip Kalk to replace all evaporation.

waterpolo

That's rediculously good. What kind of additives do you use to maintain that and how often do you do water changes?

db

Only additives I use are Ocean's Blend 2 part, Kalk, and some Magnesium. I really don't do more than about a 5 gallon water change a week. I should do a little more, but the ASM skimmers do a great keeping the organics out of the water.

db

I'm not really sure. It's more than I want to calculate. SPS are beautiful, but they are pretty expensive unless you go all frags. The majority of my SPS are Bali & Java aquacultured and average about $60 a colony. Some of those are frags that have grown as well. I've grown most of my zoanthids from frags as well.

deeez

nice tank! do you mind if you can take a picture of ur refugium? i'm trying to upgrade my refugium. I'm still fishing for ideas for my 72 bow. Thanks

db

I don't run a refugium. I have nothing against them I just have never bothered setting one up.