friday night shot of the 180 mixed reef

S

smartorl

You know, you really should work on my tank. You would laugh if you saw it now, lots of LR, three or four corals hanging stubbornly onto life............

anamilasti

hey murph, ur sps corals do u buy them as frage or what size do u usually get?
looks like you have awsome growth... how quick do your acros grow?

murph145

Originally Posted by smartorl
You know, you really should work on my tank. You would laugh if you saw it now, lots of LR, three or four corals hanging stubbornly onto life............
lol fly me on out and ill teach u the secrets
j/k

murph145

some have grown quite considerably.... most frags or small mini colonies
heres an example
this is my table acro when i got it like 15 months ago didnt know what it was but now look at my full tank shot on the lower right center portion its the yellow tableing acro

this is my valida thats next to the clam about 12 months ago as well as u can see things have been growing ive got some nice growth and many more growth shot comparissons in my folder lol

murph145

Originally Posted by smartorl
And my tank would magically transform???
just like a transformer but u gotta give me all ur money

deltablack22

ALL HAIL WILSON...

That tank is great, you've got the tiki god, football sized clam, and an sps forest. I would hate to see the calcium operation you run...
I've heard that you cant mix sps/lps/softies together yet it looks like you have some of each. Any truth to this Murph? Bio warfare and whatnot.

murph145

hahah thanks for the hail....
my calcium demand is ridiculous! i run a dual stage reactor thats using about 85 bubbles per minute of CO2 in the chamber to keep up with the demand i still even top off with kalk water and i dose Alk builder once or twice a week keeps my alk at 8dkh and my Ca around 420
i havent noticed a thing with chemical warfare just physical warfare when touching.... i run carbon 24/7 though and a UV filter

deltablack22

Originally Posted by murph145
i havent noticed a thing with chemical warfare just physical warfare when touching.... i run carbon 24/7 though and a UV filter
Aaaah thats your saving grace right there I bet.

deltablack22

I hear ya, especially with all that you have in there. Couldnt think of a better safety net myself.
You wouldnt have any crappy, algae encrusted pics of your tank would you? I think it would make everyone feel much better about themselves. Some of you guys just set the bar too damn high...

murph145

ummmm heres my sump i let the algae grow there haha i dont even have a high maintenance standard the tank just runs very well
i feed twice a day i do a 30G water change once every 2 months i change filter socks once a week prune cheato like once a month and clean skimmer once a week thats it

deltablack22

Hey murph, do you have some kind of tank diary or anything that spells out all of your equipment, additives, salt brand etc etc? I'm thinking seriously about setting up a 120 gallon 4x2x2 ft tank when I get back from Iraq next year and I'd say your tank would be a pretty good example to work from.
Any thoughts on the short and deep 120? I like it because it provides more aquascaping room but would the shorter length or added depth cause any unforseen issues (maybe flow deadspots or limited on fish)???
Thanks...

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by anamilasti
so murph i figured out ur secret.
ur dosing pepsi
how much do you add and do you put any rum in it?

murph as always a stunning pic collection , you tank is beautiful

bgrae001

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Hey murph, do you have some kind of tank diary or anything that spells out all of your equipment, additives, salt brand etc etc? I'm thinking seriously about setting up a 120 gallon 4x2x2 ft tank when I get back from Iraq next year and I'd say your tank would be a pretty good example to work from.
Any thoughts on the short and deep 120? I like it because it provides more aquascaping room but would the shorter length or added depth cause any unforseen issues (maybe flow deadspots or limited on fish)???
Thanks...

Where are you at? I'll be in Balad in 3 weeks.

murph145

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
Thanks...

i dont have a tank diary but i can give u some insight into my tank setup for your own knowledge....
tank: Lee Mar euro style flat polished 180G glass tank
sump: 36L about 25G at running capacity single baffled sump
225lbs LR
180lbs fiji pink LS
return pump: Panworld 100px-x
turbo twist 18W UV
Phosban 150G reactor
ASM-G4 skimmer with Mesh Mod
Aqua Via 1/2hp chiller
MRC-CR2 calcium reactor with 10lb CO2 bottle and dual guage JBJ solenoid
JBJ auto top off using RO/DI with Kalk added
Closed loop using Sequence Dart pump on Oceans Motions 4-way
1 Seio 1500
1 Seio 820
3-phoenix 14K 250W HQI bulbs on PFO HQI ballast and mini pendants
run cheato in sumo
run 2 bags chemi pure carbon changed monthly
Tropic Marin salt for changes
use Sea Chem Reef Builder for Alk dosing
B-ionic for Magnesium
and Salifer liquid Calcium
i have 15 fish in the tank and all different types of corals
hope this helps some

murph145

Originally Posted by anamilasti
so murph i figured out ur secret.
ur dosing pepsi
how much do you add and do you put any rum in it?
u figured it out i didnt wanna give away my secrets but u caught me lol
actually i use that for the calcium reactor effluent to gather in that then i have two air stones in the cup that help add fresh oxygen to the water to help blow off any excess CO2 outta the effluent to help keep my tanks Ph a lil more stable/higher since i run my reactor so fast it keeps my tanks Ph low