Frogfish in 12

shortpower12

I got a 12 gallon nano and right now there is just some live rock in there. I made a nice cave and some open swimming area and was wondering if it was possible to put a frogfish in there. I know that they eat pretty much anything that fits in their mouth and that some can get way to big for a 12, but if i kept one alone and found a small one if it was possible. If I could figure out how to post a picture and show you what my set up looked like i would do that but im a gimp when it comes to that kinda junk. Any advice would be appreciated.

puffer32

These fish grow to large as you already know, and even a small one is to large for a 12 gal, sorry.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by puffer32
These fish grow to large as you already know, and even a small one is to large for a 12 gal, sorry.

shortpower12

I went to a fish store and they had a small yellow frogfish in a 7gallon tank by himself and he assured me that some were perfectly suitable for a 12 gallon, but than again I have come to realize they will say anything to get my money. Thanks for the reply though.

seattle

My fish store has a ton of frogfish in nano's.I think people get confused with scorpionfish and wild maxinum size! Some guy that owns the store says that they are almost always in nano's.All the other fishstores around me said the same thing,do I need to move out of Washington or are you wrong

puffer32

Everything i have read about them says they require a minimum of 30 gals, last time i checked nanos were smaller then that
Especially a 12 gal.
You can't go by what size a lfs keeps their fish in, they have tangs in 20 gal or less. These are just temperary homes until they are bought, doesn't mean you can keep them in that size forever.

garnet13aj

I don't know that much about frogfish, I saw one at the lfs yesterday and the manager suggested no smaller than a 55g. I don't know what they would say in the nano forum, but I've heard a lot of people on this site suggest that if you want to keep fish you should have no smaller than a 20g. Also, it's important to remember that the lfs isn't planning on keeping that fish very long and it has a limitted amount of space, just because they keep it in a certain sized tank doesn't mean that it will thrive long term in a tank that size.
So I just looked in Marine Fishes by Scott. W. Michael and he has one frogfish he says could be kept in a minimum of a 20g tank, so I would say no on the 12 and suggest that even a 20g wouldn't be the best choice long term.
They are cool fish though, yesterday was the first time I had seen one in person and it was probably one of the coolest fish I'd ever seen and it wasn't even a pretty color.

puffer32

I got the 30 gal minimum from the Drs site, and a marine fish identification book i have. I guess they all have different :notsure: opinions. But i would still say 12 gal is to small for a big eater.

reefkprz

Again I totally agree with puffer even the smallest of these need a decent sized tank to be happy. Just because you can keep a fish in a tank because it doesnt look too big doesnt make it a suitable habitat.
Family: Antennariidae
Range: Indian Ocean
Size: Up to 4 inches
Minimum Tank Capacity: 30 gallon

tutak

I have a frog fish in my 125 gl tank. He's only about a 4 inches but he can eat a ton. He'll eat sixteen goldfish in one setting. I would be worried that if you were to add some smaller fish in the nano tank that he would want to eat them. Mine has gotten used to the other fish in the tank and doesn't try to eat them. Except he tried to eat the trigger three times!

shortpower12

No I was just planning on putting one frogfish in it. Its find though i got some cool rock and make a neat setup and I think ill just put some cool coral and stuff in, then fish. Thanks for the advice though.